Feeding Frequency

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellithain

Reaction score
Hey ya'll I've been noticing something and wanted to see if anyone else does the same. After my Heirodula's girls molted into L4s and started eating larger food they remain as I like to call it THICC for much longer than when they were younger so I hold off on feeding now until every 3-4 days instead of every other to avoid over feeding. Does anyone else do this? I heard every 2 days for all mantids from L2s and up but I really feel like its not right with them.. they get so stuffed I start to see the black in between their segments and in general look bloated. 

I check mine every other day. The ones with flat abdomens get fed... plump ones don't. I also occasionally give out a few small treats on non-feeding days. Honestly... if you check every 3-4 days and did the same, they'll be fine. I check every 2 days because I tend to feed smaller amounts vs. huge meals. Overfeeding speeds up metabolism and shortens the life of a mantis. Overfeeding + temperature too high = a mantis with a short life span. ?

You don't have to do regular feedings as they get older; just feed them as they need it.

- MantisGirl13

It depends on how big the prey is and how flat/full their abdomen are. my little nymps got every day a few FF and not getting plump so they get every day a few flies.  When they get bigger and getting bigger prey ,look at their abdomen:  is it thin, they are hungry. is it filled, skip a day and have a look the next day.

they get so stuffed I start to see the black in between their segments and in general look bloated. 
then they are very full. you can give them less food.

Honestly, I check on mine everyday but that’s just cuz I’m just a crazy pet lady xD check on everyone at least once a day from the mantids to the snakes. Good to know I don’t have to follow the “every two days” rule you see in online caresheets to a T however :)  thanks all! 

I check mine every other day. The ones with flat abdomens get fed... plump ones don't. I also occasionally give out a few small treats on non-feeding days. Honestly... if you check every 3-4 days and did the same, they'll be fine. I check every 2 days because I tend to feed smaller amounts vs. huge meals. Overfeeding speeds up metabolism and shortens the life of a mantis. Overfeeding + temperature too high = a mantis with a short life span. ?
So larger meals with longer in between feedings could contribute to lower lifespan? :(  I’ll have change my feeding habits then. I love my girls! Don’t want to hurt them accidentally! 

So larger meals with longer in between feedings could contribute to lower lifespan? :(  I’ll have change my feeding habits then. I love my girls! Don’t want to hurt them accidentally! 
In general, if overfed on a regular basis their metabolism speeds up, which can shorten their lifespans. I've heard that if you underfeed and keep them at the lowest tolerable temperature, they will live longer. I can't speak from experience on that... I don't let anything get underfed in my household. ?

It’s a careful line to walk tbh and something I think takes some experience with them to figure out when they need to be fed. In good news all three of my dead leafs molted yesterday so I must be doing something right! XD I’ll need to get help sexing them here soon.. they’re harder to tell than my heirodulas imo the abdomen segements aren’t as clear. 

Honestly, I check on mine everyday but that’s just cuz I’m just a crazy pet lady xD check on everyone at least once a day from the mantids to the snakes. Good to know I don’t have to follow the “every two days” rule you see in online caresheets to a T however :)  thanks all! 
I check on mine like 50 times a day! (But then again, they are kept in my bedroom and I am homeschooled so I am home all day.....)

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts