Feeding in the dark

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
Anyone have experiences with mantids eating at night time or in the dark?

PatrickFraser sent me a cup full of nymphs that had a lot of Hydei in it when they were shipped. None were left upon arrival, and there was only one dead one on the bottom.

Well, im sure they do it, as there are still plenty of insects at night. Although I have seen I vid, although i dont quite remember where, it may have been set up, as the mantids eyes were still green, and not dark brown-black as they become in the night.

Well, im sure they do it, as there are still plenty of insects at night. Although I have seen I vid, although i dont quite remember where, it may have been set up, as the mantids eyes were still green, and not dark brown-black as they become in the night.
It might not have been staged...

I hatched an ootheca of tenodera sinensis, and some of my mantises eyes do not ever turn dark. I even have one who has one eye that darkens and one eye that does not. I'm not sure if this is some kind of defect, but my mantises still appear to keep hunting in the dark... even the ones who have eyes that don't ever darken. so who knows... but many times I put food in their houses right before bed that disappear long before it ever starts to get bright outside the next day (I have to wake up ridiculously early for my job, so I'm up long before the sun all too often).

Yes, at night I placed an adult male dubia in ny tenodera girls tank and I went to sleep; 2 min later I hear a lot of commotion and turn on the light and she is munching on him....

I just got a package a few days ago that had been lost in the mail for 2 weeks! Inside there was just one living mantis and probably 5 dead bodies (there were originally 15 mantises) and a bunch of legs littering the bottom.

:-(

So yes they will definitely feed in complete darkness.

I just got a package a few days ago that had been lost in the mail for 2 weeks! Inside there was just one living mantis and probably 5 dead bodies (there were originally 15 mantises) and a bunch of legs littering the bottom.

:-(

So yes they will definitely feed in complete darkness.
ewww talk about survival of the fitess

It might not have been staged...

I hatched an ootheca of tenodera sinensis, and some of my mantises eyes do not ever turn dark. I even have one who has one eye that darkens and one eye that does not. I'm not sure if this is some kind of defect, but my mantises still appear to keep hunting in the dark... even the ones who have eyes that don't ever darken. so who knows... but many times I put food in their houses right before bed that disappear long before it ever starts to get bright outside the next day (I have to wake up ridiculously early for my job, so I'm up long before the sun all too often).
Yes I have some mantids who never get dark, and some who instantly get dark.Mine feed in the dark all the time! :)

I keep all my critters in the closet, including my mantid. I threw two dubia in for her, and they were gone the next day.

I do give them infrared goggles at night but they don't remember to turn them off, so the batteries die, is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Nite7000 goggles for my mantids...it comes wIth a sensor to automatically detect when it is day/night so they turn on/off in their own...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts