Feeding in the dark

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the feeling that some of mine actually prefer to hunt in the dark, or at least at night.

I believe they can see in low light conditions. But in total darkness I think a prey item would have to bump into them for them to grab it.

I would think that feedings in complete darkness like a shipping box would be a defensive strike based on the possible shipping stress and natural reactions to anything getting bumped into in the dark. I have watched this happen . Thats one reason I try and ship each mantid even nymphs in their own cups.in viv with infared lights and most of it seems to be defensive attacks over hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
my metalyticus eat at night. they hardly move during the day. I have only seen one eat once in day time and it's almost because I made him. Every morning I find them fat. they are definite night hunters.

I feed my mantis almost everyday when I get home from work, L2-3 get one BB each L4-6 get 2-3 each and adults get 3-6 each per day depending on the species and even with that much food they still grab them up and eat everything before the lights go out as a rule, if any are left in a multi mantis enclosure they're gone in the morning, so I know they eat at night but I don't think thats their preferred eating schedule?

It's pitch black in their room, I have turned the light on more then once to my Lobata eating a fly.

I believe the Idolo's as well.

Latest posts