Feeding mantis nymphs springtails?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltarMantis

Reaction score
High all, recently hatched a mantis nymph and want to feed iit but I am worried the fruit flies I have are too large. just caught a load of springtails in my backyard and I am wondering if there are any suggested feeding manners? thanks!

@AltarMantis The wild springtails tend to be much larger than those sold online which is a plus as it makes them a more suitable feeder option. I have the tropical white variety (as found online), and they work great as a clean up crew, but as feeders are nearly worthless. I do get quite a few of the wild gray springtails that tend to be up to four times larger when collecting specimens from leaf litter or under rocks, and those should work especially if plenty are given to a nymph.

A trick to feeding mantid nymphs springtails is to have a shallow mantid habitat/container so the nymph sees the springtails easier. Also springtails require high humidity and tend to dry out in most mantid habitats, so you should offer them to your nymph daily or ensure the nymph substrate is moist so they survive longer.

@CosbyArt You have been more than helpful responding to both of my posts! II' been planning on putting my nymph in a very small container with a bbunch of springtails to encourage interaction but worried it may be overstimulating. They are a large grey variety that at first appeared to be small arachnids at a glance. I have had this nymph two days now and haven't witnessed eating so I'm naturally a bit worried but am aware that I may have just missed the action.

@AltarMantis Thanks, and your welcome. :)

As long as the new habitat is about 4" tall you will not have any problems as the nymph can escape to the lid as needed (which is most of the time). I don't know of any species where the springtails negatively affect other species health or behavior from over population - even if the substrate has thousands jumping around constantly (but it looks bad). ;)

Indeed some nymphs can be secretive about eating, perhaps due to skittish/survival behavior as they are so young. The trick then is to watch for nymph frass (poop), if you use paper towel as substrate (or cover the normal substrate for a day) you should see frass - which is a sign the nymph has been eating.

Unfortunately I've not got a tall container though it seems I need to get one. It seems the springtails are frightening the nymph. It also seems more investigative, though i have seen it strike once lamely.

This is the smallest container I have in attempts to force it closer to prey... and my bigger containers for housing. (Was not prepared for a new pet :p ) working on getting some supplies tonight. 14806449694291120027741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I've not got a tall container though it seems I need to get one. It seems the springtails are frightening the nymph. It also seems more investigative, though i have seen it strike once lamely.
The proper container size is at least 3 times the mantis length, which is likely about 1.5" at the moment with such a small nymph (without measuring that is). ;) Likely the nymph was nervous due to the initial shock (and perhaps lack of height space), but if it has room to reach the top away from them it will quickly return to normal.

Looking at the photos I have to ask how are they ventilated for air flow?

Without some airflow mantids can drop over dead, Orchids (Hymenopus coronatus) are a species that is said to be very susceptible to airflow. Besides that mold and bacteria can quickly grow and will affect your nymph too.

Ha! I'm literally cutting additional air holes right this moment. I plan on getting a better container as soon I can find one which won't be more than a day or two here. and suggestions for small nymph enclosures? I'm in a new apartment with my fiance and we didn't being any clutter with us.

Ha! I'm literally cutting additional air holes right this moment. I plan on getting a better container as soon I can find one which won't be more than a day or two here. and suggestions for small nymph enclosures? I'm in a new apartment with my fiance and we didn't being any clutter with us.
Ah okay good, I saw your photos and was wondering, just make the openings small enough the nymph can't escape. :)

The easiest and best method for young nymphs is the cup method explained in this post. A few cheap disposable cups and some fine mesh like organza fabric for the lids and your all set (I have been using the same ones for years, so they work great and are reusable).

Totally did! is there a specific place I can post updates on my nymph in the forums or is that typically frowned upon since it's not seeking to answer any questions?

Totally did! is there a specific place I can post updates on my nymph in the forums or is that typically frowned upon since it's not seeking to answer any questions?
Most people create their own thread in "General Mantid Discussions," entitling it something like" You Username's Collection Thread," and that is your place to post any updates you want about your individual mantises. Here is mine: 

Emotional roller coaster tonight! came home after getting my liscense and was excitedly showing the neighbor my singular mantis and ooth. when I went to grab the container with the ooth (that I'd previously misted to restore some moisture to the very dry ooth) I saw a ring of submerged corpses at the bottom and freaked out. Fortunately every one of them survived the initial gauntlet. Though one of the seems to be "stuck" with forelegs facing outward and to the side from possibly being held by the water in a static position. I'm worried for the vitality of this one and any pain or malities it will have to face in the future, any one ended up with gimpy nymphs before?

Emotional roller coaster tonight! came home after getting my liscense and was excitedly showing the neighbor my singular mantis and ooth. when I went to grab the container with the ooth (that I'd previously misted to restore some moisture to the very dry ooth) I saw a ring of submerged corpses at the bottom and freaked out. Fortunately every one of them survived the initial gauntlet. Though one of the seems to be "stuck" with forelegs facing outward and to the side from possibly being held by the water in a static position. I'm worried for the vitality of this one and any pain or malities it will have to face in the future, any one ended up with gimpy nymphs before?
I've had it happen, water drops to the nymphs act almost like tape trapping and drowning them (they can't overcome the surface tension of the water as they are so small). If they are removed in time from the water they should recover (I used small bamboo BarBQ/fondue skewers to help move them), and the initial problems with legs and such should be gone soon after the first molt. Best of luck.

Glad to know! I'm going to go buy a fruit fly culture soon now that I know I will need that much! For the time being though i believe wild springtail is on the menu!

Glad to know! I'm going to go buy a fruit fly culture soon now that I know I will need that much! For the time being though i believe wild springtail is on the menu!
Good, they will enjoy the fruit flies and they are easier to culture than finding enough prey outside this time of year (or anytime of year even), as FF are in the cups. ;) No problem with that, and being wild they should have a varied diet which should pass along various nutrients to your nymphs.

Not sure exactly about the edicate of posting on this forum yet so sorry for the late response. I was just wondering if anyone knows good live traps to set up outdoors for capturing springtails, and other small insect feeders... :)

Latest posts