Feeding mealworms carrots?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Some people may give their livefood calcium supplement but carrot binds calcium. Maybe this has something to do with it? I've never heard of this before. I would switch off carrots just to be safe.
I've actually fed them the mealworms (who have eaten carrots) twice, and my boys are alive and well days later. I think it might just be a cricket thing?

Now that you mention it I remember hearing from another enthusiast that certain species of mantis just can't cope with crickets as a staple diet. He advised I stay away from crickets full stop. I have always used meal worms, flies and locusts depending on species.  :D

Sorry for not quoting, I'm still getting used to the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't want to use crickets in any case--I've read too many horror stories of crickets attacking mantises. I'm in class or at work most of the time so I know I wouldn't be able to stop anything like that  :(  I think I might just stick to mealworms and flies.

As far as I know dubia roaches are good for mantises as well. They're a good source of protein (more so than crickets). They're hardy and easy to keep if you decide to try them! :)

I'm terrified of roaches unfortunately  :unsure:  I've thought about it but I know there's just no way I'd be able to raise them, they freak me out a lot--maybe as I get more used to bugs I'll change my mind!

I'm terrified of roaches unfortunately  :unsure:  I've thought about it but I know there's just no way I'd be able to raise them, they freak me out a lot--maybe as I get more used to bugs I'll change my mind!
Understandable! I have a fear of cockroaches but am able to handle dubias with ease. Kind of had to get used to them for the sake of my lizard (plus they're a godsend vs keeping crickets). 

Dont worry about it if you never get used to them! Sticking to mealworms and flies is fine. :)

Latest posts