Feeding Nymphs - Quick Question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkerNom

Reaction score
I recently ordered two Ghost Mantis Nymphs (L3/L4)!  They will ship in the next couple days!  I wanted to know if they can eat immediately after you receive them or if mantises are similar to tarantulas since normally you give a tarantula awhile to settle into it's new enclosure before feeding it.

@WalkerNom It's typically recommended to let them rest before feeding, 24 hours is what I normally hear; however, I worry about their trip and feed mine after a few hours of rest in their new homes - and most gladly eat. :)

I got another question, I got two Ghost Nymphs (L3/L4) on Tuesday.  I let them settle in and the next morning I put a fruit fly (D. Hydei) in their cups.  Now over 24hrs later the flies are still in their cups.  Are they just not hungry yet or are the 32oz cups too big for them to find their food in?  Several times I've tried to coax the flies toward the mantises and they don't really go after them.  I'm thinking they just aren't hungry yet since their abdomens don't look flat yet but it can't hurt to ask...

I received 3 L2 ghosts last month. They were so tiny I thought the 32 oz deli cups were way too big for them. Sarah K assured me they would be fine. So in their new homes they went with a spritz of water and a sprinkle of fruit flies. @Sarah Kwas right! Didn't take them long at all to start chowing down. In fact, when I was sprinkling, one of them caught a ff as it was falling near it. It started eating and looked up at me as if to say "what took you so long woman." Isn't it funny how we give our pets voices? 

Anyway, my point is they will be fine.  :D

Thanks again Sarah and Eric! 

Denise 

@WalkerNom As they apparently have found the flies the mantids are fine. Likely they ate a few of the several FF you put in - or simply still well fed before they arrived. ;)

Latest posts