Feeding nymphs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweek888

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting my first ootheca soon and want to culture my own food for them,

I find re-ordering FFF to be a bit rube goldburg like :\

I was thinking Fly larvae, but I'm not sure if a mantis would take them ( S. limbata)

Also, can they be cultured and for what amount of time?/ caresheets?

Thanks for your time!

-Tweek

Order you a vial of flightless fruit flies. Then order some medium and get some yeast. Mix the medium with water and add a pinch of yeast in a container of your choice. Throw in a few of the flies you got and soon you will have thousands of flies. Culturing fruit flies is so easy. I get my supplies from www.carolina.com You could even go on there and order their fruit fly culture kit which will come with everything you need.

Thanks Great Info, (standard cooking yeast?)

I head that they will die out eventually(6-8 weeks) from a lack of fresh genes?

and

I'm in the USA

:wink:

I don't know if you have a petco around you or not, but they started carrying small viles of fruit flies there.

Another good website for FF is www.buyfruitflies.com.

They will not die out. The ones I have now I originally got like six months ago. If you need anymore help let me know.

I head that they will die out eventually(6-8 weeks) from a lack of fresh genes?
FF cultures do not die out because of lack of fresh genes, they die out because of declining food quality/quantity, that is why you start new colonies every few weeks with fresh food/substrate. That way you also have a continual supply of fruitflies.

They may not die out, but after a month or so your "flighless" FF will mutate and start flying around. Happened to me every time so far, once with culture from petco and once from carolina biological supply.

That has happened to me too. But the ones I have had now for several months still don't fly.

You may have some flightless and ones that are able to fly in the same container. The "flight-abled" flies carry the dominant gene. So if you mix flightless and flight flies together, you will mostly get flight flies with a handful of flightless ones.

Latest posts