Feeding time!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
I've been taking feeding time pictures the last few days and thought I'd share. It's my favorite time of day, especially when I hear the flies thrashing around!
devil2.gif

My favorite subject

IMGP5895.jpg

IMGP5839.jpg

Spiky white death right here. It must suck being eaten from the backside first.
eek.gif

IMGP5845.jpg

IMGP5846.jpg

The giant horsefly eating machine

IMGP5926.jpg

IMGP5905.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of mantises are these?
The first is an Indian Flower Mantis aka creobroter gemmatus aka Ironhide (my 4 year old son named him
laugh.gif
)

The middle one is an orchid mantis aka hymenopus coronatus

The last one is a Chinese mantis aka tenodera sinensis aka Zorak

Oh, now you're making me hungry...

It must suck being eaten from the backside first.
eek.gif
I wouldn't know, but it seems very considerate. Gives you time to write out your will or call your mom to say goodby. :lol:

I think I have a mandible fetish. I love watching the little flagellum flip around while they "whisper" and or ingest some foodies. hehe like little lips from the side and like funky fingers from the front.

Is that a brown collar on your Orchid? Does that really mean it's a boy? I think we will end up having to pair them up!

I think I have a mandible fetish. I love watching the little flagellum flip around while they "whisper" and or ingest some foodies. hehe like little lips from the side and like funky fingers from the front.

Is that a brown collar on your Orchid? Does that really mean it's a boy? I think we will end up having to pair them up!
I have a total fetish with mandibles too so don't feel bad. My favorite shots are the ones where my Chinese's mouth looks open!

And I don't know about the sex of it. I'll have to more closely inspect while I read tomorrow because my mantids aren't at home, they're at my mom's since they sprayed my apt. today and the pictures I have are just not of all the right areas to tell. The article that guy was referring to said that brown line means boy though.We'll see! More to come!

I am a ninja for getting this picture without letting the fly out!
ninja.gif
IMGP5944.jpg

One of the shield babies tackling a fly. I love all the water droplets

IMGP5958.jpg

IMGP5964.jpg

Just a little snack

IMGP5974.jpg

IMGP5982.jpg

This was like watching Jaws in miniature

IMGP5987.jpg

I think she bit off more than she could chew! I was amazed she actually took it and ate it! I just decided to wave it in front of her to see if she would take it. She got about halfway before she stopped eating it.

IMGP6089.jpg

I think she bit off more than she could chew! I was amazed she actually took it and ate it! I just decided to wave it in front of her to see if she would take it. She got about halfway before she stopped eating it.

IMGP6089.jpg
yeah thats like me eating half of a 220 pound cheeseburger! :huh:

She is pretty, can u take another shot of that butt, so we can see what it is? oh, yea never mind, green stripe, must be a girl:lol: , rubbish, one cannot tell by the color of the stripe :tt2: Where do these tales come from? Phil, go ask the mantis goddess!

She is pretty, can u take another shot of that butt, so we can see what it is? oh, yea never mind, green stripe, must be a girl:lol: , rubbish, one cannot tell by the color of the stripe :tt2: Where do these tales come from? Phil, go ask the mantis goddess!
It seems too simple!!! She's substantially larger than mine though, so that's all the proof I need! They're mantisplace siblings too :D

One of the c. nebulosus babies was on my finger, so I offered a half stunned fly. It snatched the fly and began eating it right on my finger. Then I realized I was going to have to wait until it was done eating before I could do much about feeding the others....
blink.gif

IMGP6291.jpg

IMGP6297.jpg

IMGP6299.jpg

Nice Creos. They are fun little ones.

I'm going to have to offer my last one up in the classifieds soon to find it a mate.
I really do love the creobroters. I'm hooked on their quirky personalities! Orchie has quite a quirky attitude too.
biggrin.gif