Female calling?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodtkr

Reaction score
Ive seen people say the female mantis was "calling" What is this and how do i know if any of mine are? I never mated any before but my ghost is apparently a female because she already laid 2 unfertile ooths i guess. Long green egg cases i think ?

I noticed my female S. Carolina's would crawl to their lids (mesh) and kind of tap and poke their rears on/out the enclosure. I'd never seen it before until both did it.

Also, with my T. Sinensis (Echo.) behavior was the same.

I noticed my female S. Carolina's would crawl to their lids (mesh) and kind of tap and poke their rears on/out the enclosure. I'd never seen it before until both did it.

Also, with my T. Sinensis (Echo.) behavior was the same.
Maybe they were trying to find a place to lay an ootheca? Did they lay oothecae soon after they did this?

I believe that they "call" when they bend their rear ends anterior and inferiorly in relation to the mantis. It seems to be always at night, and out of mine, the ones that have not mated do it each night. Of course, they will still do it if they have mated, but in my observations, not as often. When they do it, the males go crazy, and sometimes the other females go a little crazy until they get used to it. I have iris oratorias.

Oh, and the hissing... So cool!

happy-

no this was actually before I had started ever mating, the S.Carolina was my first attempt / successful mating. Only reason I even began to breed was because of that females behavior. She never layed ooths before the mating, but many afterwards.

Same with Echo.

I have definitely seen the female ( I'm guessing ) bend her back end towards the screen. I hate to say but I'm almost afraid to put the male in there. It would freak me out if she attacks him. I'm like an ostrich with that stuff I'd probably turn the light off ..walk away..and let nature take its course.

Bloodtkr are you going to attempt breeding the Ghost mantis pair in a large enclosure? You could try mating them in a closet letting them loose, unless you have a lot of Parasteatoda like spiders that would eat the male Ghost mantis when he gets trapped in the webs. Feed the female a lot by the way, but you probably already know this. lol

yes, do as Happy suggest... Put them in a large enclosure, so the male has room to escape. I personally feed the female just before I introduce my males to reduce his chances of death.

I only have a female ghost. The 2 I could put together are pnigomantis medioconstricta ( double shield ). I tried feeding her before I was gonna put him but she wouldn't. She is already in a big cage. A reptibreeze cage like they use for chameleons.

I only have a female ghost. The 2 I could put together are pnigomantis medioconstricta ( double shield ). I tried feeding her before I was gonna put him but she wouldn't. She is already in a big cage. A reptibreeze cage like they use for chameleons.
Oh, okay. Is the reptibreeze cage the size of a small closet? Is the female Pnigomantis medioconstricta fat or not so fat? What do you feed her?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah... Can you provide a photo of how fat she currently is? Could help decipher whether or not she can eat more.

Might be a little more fat now

1211140944.jpg