Female D. lobata lays only tiny bit of ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
she is huge, and im expecting an ootheca from her. Shes fertile, this will be her third. But she laid only a miniscule amount. Like 1/16th of an ooth. Its literally only like three layers of foam. Then she stopped laying? She hasnt done any more for like two hours. Shes just sun bathing now. Shes still huge and looks like shes gonna explode. Has anyone ever experienced this before?? where a mantid starts laying then stops for no apparent reason? Ive never seen this before. Im not sure what to think about it. Though i am slightly concerned.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
one time I had a carolina female laying an ooth and it just stoped and ran after a grasshopper to eat it. another female droped dead in the middle of laying. A different time I was watching a wild chinese lay an ooth and i came back an hour later and another female was eating it

one time I had a carolina female laying an ooth and it just stoped and ran after a grasshopper to eat it. another female droped dead in the middle of laying. A different time I was watching a wild chinese lay an ooth and i came back an hour later and another female was eating it
eating the mother or the ooth?

My creo pictipennis laid an ooth about 1/4 inch long,It was her final ooth,she passed a few days later.I know she was mated,and the first few ooths all hatched.I have another full size ooth incubating and than the tiny little ooth incubating,no clue if it will hatch out anything,but figured keep it anyways just in case.Ill update if it ends up hatching

My creo pictipennis laid an ooth about 1/4 inch long,It was her final ooth,she passed a few days later.I know she was mated,and the first few ooths all hatched.I have another full size ooth incubating and than the tiny little ooth incubating,no clue if it will hatch out anything,but figured keep it anyways just in case.Ill update if it ends up hatching
I'm sorry she passed. Good idea to keep it just in case. Good luck!

Platysil laid the rest of the ooth several days later. She's now 11 months old.

Latest posts