Female violin! :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginner entomologist

Reaction score
I've been worrying about these guys since day 1. :unsure: As I know that they can be fairly difficult to keep. Well, yesterday morning I woke up to find that my subadult female shed her skin! and boy is she beautiful!

I guess my question is: If I haven't been properly taking care of them, something would have probably gone wrong by now? Is that correct? I just want to stop worrying about them, and just enjoy them.

Hi

Congratulations

If I haven't been properly taking care of them, something would have probably gone wrong by now? Is that correct?
Concerning "keeping": Yes, seems so. As long as she will start to eat again.

Concerning "breeding": No, not necessarily.

regards and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a fresh adult female and the male is subadult already, don't worry about the timing. Your timing is very good.

Good luck, as I said.

Congrats. So far I find them to be very easy to keep. You're doing it right.

Congrats. Wait until the male is at least 2 weeks old. They will not mate unless it is hot (100F). If they have the right conditions, I dont find mating them very difficult. :)

Congrats. Wait until the male is at least 2 weeks old. They will not mate unless it is hot (100F). If they have the right conditions, I dont find mating them very difficult. :)
How can I get a ten gallon aquarium up to 100F? I currently have a desk lamp on the tank and that only keeps the tank between 75-80. Do I need a heat lamp?

How can I get a ten gallon aquarium up to 100F? I currently have a desk lamp on the tank and that only keeps the tank between 75-80. Do I need a heat lamp?
Are you sure on those temps. I have a lamp over a net cage and I have 100+. It should be very easy to get an aquarium of that size to 100. Try a higher wattage bulb. I am using a 25 w halogen.

I've been worrying about these guys since day 1. :unsure: As I know that they can be fairly difficult to keep. Well, yesterday morning I woke up to find that my subadult female shed her skin! and boy is she beautiful! Thanks :)
is it the one that has injury on one leg?
for 10 gal tank it can get to 100F very fast with 60W, the glass will be burning hot too. Depending on the ambient temperature in your enclosure, you could adjust the distance and wattage to achieve the require temperature. A thermometer would be handy.