Fertilization timing?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my ghost mantids bred this weekend (Friday/Saturday night) and the female laid an ooth this morning, I was wondering if they are able to fertilize their eggs that fast or if I’ll have to wait for my next batch for babies?

As long as the breeding was successful, that is they actually connected for a period of time and sperm was transferred, then the eggs will be fertilized. It does not matter how long or short after a successful mating for the ootheca to be viable. It will be fertilized because female insects store the sperm in a special place called the spermetheca and can fertilize every egg case they make from just one mating. As long as the mating was a success the egg should be fertilized. Though sometimes you can't tell for sure if they actually mated but that's a different issue.

So I would assume it was a success and that you will have baby ghosts sometime soon from that first egg case. :)

Latest posts