Few Pics of my Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorty

Reaction score
Today I found a cheapo digital camera at a garage sale and thought I'd test it out. The photos turned out better than I had expected, but I really need to buy a nice camera.

Mantis religiosa female eating a cricket.

000_0035.jpg

Tenodera sinensis male feasting.

000_0044.jpg

Same M. religiosa as above.

000_0038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great pictures I have a really $$$$DSLR camera but have not got the hang of taking small subject matter yet

well done again

Royz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys! I appreciate the kind words.

I got just got a photo of my my first successful mating attempt. I gave one of my religiosa females a cricket and put my only male near her and he mounted her, although tentatively at first. They started mating over an hour ago (1:59pm EST) and are still going at it now (3:10pm). She is finished with the cricket and I hope she doesn't decide to make a meal of him because there is nothing I can do for him now. Wish him luck!

This is the only picture I could get because the internal memory on this camera is full. I'm going to transfer the rest of the photos to my computer and clear them off. This camera only holds twenty photos internally so I need to buy a memory card.

000_0048.jpg

Well, as much as I didn't want to, I had to leave my house today during the mating of the two Mantis religiosa. Unfortunately I lost my male. :( Oh well, I'm sure I'll come across a few more before the season is over. Plus, I will have fertilized oothecae and will have all the Mantis religiosa I know what to do with in the not-too-distant future.

I have had green mantids before caught around here. Were they religiosa or are there such a thing as green chinese? Because i always thought the green ones and brown ones locally were chinese maybe i'm wrong?

There are green and brown religiosa around here as well as green and brown T. sinensis. I even have a male T. sinensis that is partly green and partly brown.

Latest posts