FF culture disappearing!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxer

Reaction score
I have several flies, several pupae, and TONS of maggots in my FF vial. There is no way that there's enough food to feed all these maggots left in the vial. My culture mix is coming in the mail right now, but is there any way that I can transfer maggots over to it? I've heard you can transfer flies, but nothing on maggots. Thanks!

Jake

Yes you can. Once you set up a new culture use a spoon or a scoop of some type and scoop the maggots out of the old culture and place into the new. They will spread out.

Don't worry about the maggots. Even if the media runs out, the majority of them should still be able to pupate into flies. They just might be a bit smaller than normal size.

Yea, like Rick said, just scoop them out, wash spoon afterwards, or as least wipe off on dishtowell so wifey don't know u used it
rolleyes.gif
. If old culture has lot of excelsior in it, tap hard and open lid and remove and throw the excelsior away, u dont need it. If culture does not show up, make your own, know how? Just ask!
wink.gif

Okay, thanks guys! I'll just wait it out and transfer some maggots and maybe some flies over to my new culture.

Jake

Well that IS how you make new cultures. I usually transfer about half the flies and if the culture is drying out like yours, I transfer some maggots.

Alright, sounds good. I just hope this stuff gets here soon! I ordered the mix from flycafe.net, has anyone used them before? They were the first one I found. Thanks!

Jake

I get mine from carolina.com. I just noticed that these were hydei. They take forever to produce flies.

My first two pupae hatched, and I had to feed the two flies to my Mio and S. Lineola nymphs right away. I hope this stuff comes soon, I need it! lol

Jake

Flies galore!! I somehow managed to transfer them all to a new vial, complete with new media. The culture had completely dried up, and all the maggots became pupae, so I'm still waiting for them to hatch. Thanks for all the advice!

Jake

Latest posts