Field trip bust

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent five hours with friends on a field trip looking for mantids, beetles, plants and moss specimens. A sunburn and 200 mosquitoes bites later, all I found were these lousy snails and their eggs everywhere... and possibly Dengue fever. 😕

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_154836273.jpg
    IMG_20240420_154836273.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240420_154947489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_154947489_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Reminds me of our late night herping adventure. At least the stars were bright that evening, along with our bug bites.
I was overly optimistic and took 10 32oz cups and other assorted containers and bags. All I forgot was mosquito spray. 😄

That's a big bummer. Were you somewhere tropical or something? Sorry your field trip was a bust. It's never fun when that happens. I have had a few of those myself. Went to find mantises one time and got nothing but micro ticks! (basically just hatched ticks) Very not fun!
I really hope you didn't pick up Dengue fever! Definitely check that out to make sure it isn't Dengue!

Were you somewhere tropical or something?
I thought it would be a perfect place. Large property with 3 large ponds, a small river with lots of tall grass running along the banks, rotten logs and tons of moss and bamboo. 1 acre was mostly pine. This was all within 4 acres of property. I probably should have waited until more flowers were blooming? 🤔

I can be a little hypochondriac at times, so I'm watching my temperature. 😀

I thought it would be a perfect place. Large property with 3 large ponds, a small river with lots of tall grass running along the banks, rotten logs and tons of moss and bamboo. 1 acre was mostly pine. This was all within 4 acres of property. I probably should have waited until more flowers were blooming? 🤔

I can be a little hypochondriac at times, so I'm watching my temperature. 😀
Yeah that sounds like the perfect habitat for insects and mantises. Though it is kinda early for most bugs. Mantises are only maybe just hatching now. Most probably haven't hatched yet, though that also depends on how warm the spring has been so far. Waiting until more flowers were blooming would have probably yielded better results. I have had trouble finding bugs this early in the spring too. Though it surprises me you didn't find beetles etc in the logs.
Make sure to watch temperatures and symptoms for Dengue. Since it has similar symptoms to other illnesses too.

Not sure about your part of FL, but it has been dry here most of the year. We did get a bit of rain yesterday, but April has been mostly rain free. Flowers aren't blooming much yet. Does rainfall effect timing of ooth hatching?

Latest posts