Figeater beetle stack

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeatzee

Reaction score
My parents had some friends give them this beetle saying it was jewelry as a joke but im sure they were surprised by my parents reaction :lol: Apparently they got all excited to see it up close when I inevitably take a stack of it :lol: Here's the image, 130 shots stacked @ F/5.6.

Cotinis Mutabilis by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

Midway through the series my taped on hood (also holds the diffuser) for the el nikkor collapsed. I didn't notice that but I did realize my photos got really dark all of a sudden so i spent some time trying to figure out what the heck happened. Eventually I realized it and fixed the problem but not without slightly bumping the beetle :eek: The stack still came through though so what do you guys think?

Wow! I think if Transformers were real they wouldn't be even marginally as well made as that beetle. Just about all I do is look at bugs and I could stare at that image(s) for hours. I don't understand what this image stacking stuff is, but your results always amaze me.

It's interesting to wonder if that bit of structure covering the eye is a remnant of an earlier form regressing. I suspect it still serves to protect the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I think if Transformers were real they wouldn't be even marginally as well made as that beetle. Just about all I do is look at bugs and I could stare at that image(s) for hours. I don't understand what this image stacking stuff is, but your results always amaze me.

It's interesting to wonder if that bit of structure covering the eye is a remnant of an earlier form regressing. I suspect it still serves to protect the eye.
Here's a single image from the 130 used to give you an idea :)

6027847481_a1260fe01a_z.jpg

Nice close-up. I used to raise the the adults I caught because they were strikingly attractive with the iridescent green. When I read up on them and learned that the larvae needed plant roots to feed, I was like "darn, I don't have roots". I ended up release the larvae into the soil. The adults sure love fruits (peaches for me).

So, is the idea in "stacking" that 130 images will have 130 slightly different focal points and when overlaid on each other will show everything clean and clear? Hmmm...that doesn't make sense either because it seems the unfocused points would outweigh the focused ones.

So, is the idea in "stacking" that 130 images will have 130 slightly different focal points and when overlaid on each other will show everything clean and clear? Hmmm...that doesn't make sense either because it seems the unfocused points would outweigh the focused ones.
To get everything in focus its the only possible way while keeping sharpness and image quality at this level. The software I use only keeps the in-focus detail of every image and combines it.

Ah, software!

How long do 130 images take to capture with a camera like that? I assume the beetle was dead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, software!

How long do 130 images take to capture with a camera like that? I assume the beetle was dead?
Yes it was dead, given to me that way. Total time from when I first started setting up to finished capturing was probably 2 and a half hours roughly.

(do note I've gotten 40+ image stacks of living creatures before)

To get everything in focus its the only possible way while keeping sharpness and image quality at this level. The software I use only keeps the in-focus detail of every image and combines it.
What software is this yeatzee?

That is bloody awesome!

Well done!

I need to invest in a good tripod and focusing rail.
Do note that if you do wish to try deep studio focus stacking (or early morning stacking), a "for photography" made rail will not work (yes even the manfrotto one etc.). You'll need a linear stage with a micrometer which may or may not need modifying to fit your camera/tripod.

What software is this yeatzee?
zerene stacker

Nice! That's a lot of time but the results appear to be worth your efforts.
Thanks. Yes it can take quite some time for some stacks

amazing colors!!!! amazing details
Thank you!

Fantastic, I need to learn how one does this photo stacking.
Any questions feel free to PM me

Latest posts