Final Molt - Pumping up wings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a chinese praying mantis that molted in to an adult about 5 hours ago. I'm a bit concerned as its wings haven't really pumped up much at all, especially the 2 wings underneath. Doesn't it usually only take a couple of hours max?

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it more time and don't disturb it during this critical moment.

yes rick is right, mine took all nite to fill out. you may want to mist gently, not on the mantis directly.

Thanks for the feedback.

20 hours have passed now and still no improvement. I did manage to mist 30 mins before she molted as I sensed it would molt that day. I forgot to mention that she did have a minor fall around an hour after molting, could this explain it? She got straight back up and no damage from what I can see.

When I check on her from time to time, I noticed that she keeps shaking his wings - will they be causing her discomfort and if so, would I be able to clip them in a weeks time?

I haven't handled her yet or disturbed her, I tend to leave them be for a few days, a week if adult.

I've had her since L1 and it's a shame to see her there with his undeveloped wings. :(

edit: turns out it's a she :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Something may be wrong then. They do move back and forth for awhile during this time and for awhile after, kinda like rocking the abdomen back and forth. If it is just the wings that are messed up it won't cause any issues really. Can you post a pic?

I've had a similar problem with a Sphodromantis viridis specimen. The mantid moulted fine but the wings remained the size of the subadult wingbuds, all crinkled. My take is that it is a health issue rather than a habitat problem. Could the mantid have a genetic/nutritional defect where it cannot pump hemolymph into the wings?

I've never taken an entomology class and am not a mantid physiologist by any means, just thinking scientifically here!

My first chinese mantis molted too, her main wings are out, but it looks like her underwings are still taking time to unravel.

I've had a similar problem with a Sphodromantis viridis specimen. The mantid moulted fine but the wings remained the size of the subadult wingbuds, all crinkled. My take is that it is a health issue rather than a habitat problem. Could the mantid have a genetic/nutritional defect where it cannot pump hemolymph into the wings?

I've never taken an entomology class and am not a mantid physiologist by any means, just thinking scientifically here!
Maybe. I have literally found hundreds maybe even thousands of chinese mantids in the wild. Very rarely I do come across one that has the same wing problem.

Thanks again for the help via PM, Rick.

After thinking about it, I'm strongly convinced it was a result of it's fall. She's eating and very active now, so I'm not too fussed. I'll clip her wings next week, though.

That's a good point, Rick, that I forgot to bring up. Wild mantids have a much broader spectrum of insect prey species available, thus filling any potential nutritional gaps. One of the interesting questions in the world of mantis rearing I guess!

Latest posts