Final Molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsnuts

Reaction score
So out of my six chinese mantis, the smallest one was the first to molt last night into an adult. It's so impressive looking with those wings! Problem is the top wing on the left didn't unfold. It's just a 1/4 of the way open and the rest is still tucked into a ball.

Should I try and unfold it or just leave it be?

have the wings already dried? they probably have which means its probably a done deal, I have saved a crinkled wing before after a molt with warm water and helped it out,but that was shortly after the molt.

have the wings already dried? they probably have which means its probably a done deal, I have saved a crinkled wing before after a molt with warm water and helped it out,but that was shortly after the molt.
He still a little light in color and kinda flimsy, but it's probably been a good 12hrs or more since he molted.

only thing I can say is try to feel the wings and see how they feel, and make ur own call on it. like I said probably best to leave alone, but again if its not unfolded then its a useless wing anyways, so maybe give it a shot, but it will depend on how dry the wing actualy is.

Congratulations on a successful molt besides the wings! My female Chinese mantis is going to molt any minute now into adulthood so that's awesome! :)

Thanks.

I tried to tease it out with a toothpick but it's basically set already. Oh well. 5 more to go!

On a side note, will they still eat as adults or is mating their primary focus now?

Thanks.

I tried to tease it out with a toothpick but it's basically set already. Oh well. 5 more to go!

On a side note, will they still eat as adults or is mating their primary focus now?
My females eat at least 12 bbflys a day as adults. My other adult males ( Stagmomantis) and griffinii don't eat as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on raising your mantis to adulthood! Sometimes wing problems happen, and usually they don't cause any issues except in cases where it makes it harder for the male to mount for mating (if the female has "off" wings). So usually for an adult male it's not going to be an issue.

Generally speaking, males are pretty focused on finding a mate once they get their wings, but females need to bulk up for ooth-laying, so their appetite will increase.

Congrats on raising your mantis to adulthood! Sometimes wing problems happen, and usually they don't cause any issues except in cases where it makes it harder for the male to mount for mating (if the female has "off" wings). So usually for an adult male it's not going to be an issue.

Generally speaking, males are pretty focused on finding a mate once they get their wings, but females need to bulk up for ooth-laying, so their appetite will increase.
So the guys are ready as soon as they have wings?? Like if there was a receptive female he'd be on it?

Latest posts