Finally Found One!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiblits

Reaction score
My bug net swished threw the air. Yes! I had caught that little grasshopper! As I looked closer at the net I saw it. A small brown mantid only about 2 cm long! I was so tickled! I plopped the net into my bug keeper and closed it quickly. I could see the grass hopper bouncing frantically about, but where was my mantis? I sighed. Somehow I had been out whitted by a bug. My little brown mantis had somehow slipped away. Disappointed I returned to my grasshopper hunt, all the while hoping to get a glimpse of another mantis. Two and a half hours later I started feeling the affect of the hot weather and the lack of water. Wearily I gathered my critter keepers and my dry water bottle. As I began stuffing my supplies back into my sack something green caught my eye as it dashed threw the brush. Was this it? Did I finally find what I had been searching for? I paused and sat quietly watching for another sign of movement... there it was. Sitting before me and glaring me down was a green mantis, only an inch long. Slowly I reached for my net, so as not to startle the creature and lose my prey. Swish! In on fell swoop I had caught it! Carefully I placed the open end of the net over my keeper. The mantis quickly crawled out onto some branches I had placed inside. My mission for the day was complete. My turtle would have his favorite grasshopper treat and I had a new pet mantis.

I had been wanting a mantis for a while and even with the help of a good friend who happens to be an entomologist we still couldn't locate one! Today was the first time I had been able to find one. I hope you all enjoyed my mantid tale.

Much love to you all!

skiblits

mantis045.jpg

Nice catch buddy. I once saw a mantis on a fence when I was a little kid. Totally unprepared to catch it, I figured I would use the handcupping technique. As I approached, it decided to go base jumping and I lost it despite searching for HOURS. Glad you could actually recover another one, especially a green one!

I'm curious, can you find this species in the midwest? I know I found a stagmomantis carolina, and chinese. But I would really love this type. They're just the definition my visual image when i think praying mantis.

I'm curious, can you find this species in the midwest? I know I found a stagmomantis carolina, and chinese. But I would really love this type. They're just the definition my visual image when i think praying mantis.
Most definitely.

I live in midwestern OK and we have them. I've raised several that I wild-caught.

Latest posts