Finally got one - Northern Walking Stick (Diapheromera femorata)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
This is the first walking stick I've come across since I've been an adult anyway. It is a Northern walking stick (Diapheromera femorata) and is about 3.5" (9 cm) not including the antenna, my fingers are crossed it is a bred female; otherwise, at my current rate of finding these it will never see a mate.

I came across it today while I was out collecting mantids at my sister's. Her boyfriend pointed it out near him on the side of their house - so while I finally got one, I still haven't found one. ;)

9-12-16-nws.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I have never found one either! Congrats! Keep us updated it she actually turns out to be mated.:)

Thanks, but sadly it already died. :( I assume the day I collect it got too hot in the container (90's outside that day) and that affected it's health, as today it was dead (and not just playing dead). Although as it was an adult it might have died naturally, but very unlikely I caught it as it was dying (what would be the chances of that).

My sister says there are many more that show up out there, so I'm hoping to get to try again.

If there is one there are more hope you find a couple. Sheryl brought one over a couple days ago and I released it on the sweet gum tree with the others. hopefully this next spring I find a few nymphs. I wish you luck

Latest posts