First attempt at pinning

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cid143ti

Reaction score
Here is my first attempt at pinning...male ghost.  I still have a green female waiting.  Any idea how long it will take for it to set?

Thanks,

W. Smith

IMG_0027.JPG

@cid143ti From the Mississippi State University Extension Service, article here, they say for air dried specimens indoors, "promptly remove insects from pinning and spreading boards after they have adequately dried (5 to 10 days)."

I've done some of the drying tricks found in this post and found the silica gel packets with the pinned insect in a closed shoe box helps speed it up (I left mine in 24-48 hours to ensure they were dry, but likely were dry much sooner) better preserving the colors. I've also read about using a food dehydrator, but the idea of heat and the fan breeze has made me avoid trying it.

Incidentally I also found a interesting article about preserving/pinning mantids here.

@CosbyArt

The second link you provided is the same one my entomologist friend directed me to when I inquired about pinning mantises. Her response about it was "as soon as you see them talking about how to properly preserve the genitalia you know they're taking this seriously and are legit" :p

Thanks for the replies.  I live in Houston so humidity is high even with the ac running...I'm willing to bet they take a bit longer to air dry here.  I can already tell the green one is darkening.  Next time I'll have some silica packets ready.  

Teamonger, yeah I noticed that article took a left turn...they certainly a bit more serious than I am about preserving them.  

@CosbyArt

The second link you provided is the same one my entomologist friend directed me to when I inquired about pinning mantises. Her response about it was "as soon as you see them talking about how to properly preserve the genitalia you know they're taking this seriously and are legit" :p
Sounds like reputable information then. :) Yes, your right about that - I have to admit I was wondering from what little information they did provide why they spent so much of the article on the genitalia. I guess in that regard the main aspects of pinning a mantid is like other related insects, except for what is noted. ;)

Thanks for the replies.  I live in Houston so humidity is high even with the ac running...I'm willing to bet they take a bit longer to air dry here.  I can already tell the green one is darkening.  Next time I'll have some silica packets ready.  

Teamonger, yeah I noticed that article took a left turn...they certainly a bit more serious than I am about preserving them.  
Ah that is shame the color is darkening already, and after pinning it so well.

If your not in a big rush, I would recommend getting the desiccant packs straight from China (fresher product and cheaper too); otherwise, you may have luck finding them at a local Walmart or Staples stores. I bought several hundred from this seller ($2.68 per 100), and they arrived in under 3 weeks and work great. As they are the smaller size they pack great filling up more space in a shoe box. Also with the lid on the box when not in use, I was able to use the same packs multiple times.

Here is a shot of what 100 of the 1gram packets looks like in the typical 14" x 8" x 4 7/8" plastic shoe box...

desiccant.JPG

Latest posts