FIRST BREEDING (ATTEMPT) EXPERIENCE

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starving Always

Reaction score
First adult pair mantis package from Mantis Monarch:

OH DAMN! so I received my FIRST EVER adult pair of Miomantis Binotatas from Mantis Monarch and decided to breed them :) 
Of course, I fed them beforehand. The female ate partial of a roach (I thought it would fill her up) and the male ate many FF's.
While she was eating the roach, I had the female on the bottom and the male on top of the same enclosure they were in. At first, he noticed her many times as I made her move across the floor. He was being very cautious I can tell. He decided when he should leap on to her. 
After several times of her moving, he finally sprung... to the side of her. He had missed. She turned her head and her aim was straight at him. It was as if time stopped. I knew I had to do something. I moved the female even more away from the male. All was fine. Phewww. That got my adrenaline up. 
Finally, when the male did follow her, he leaped on her back. And as soon as he did, she would drop the roach and reach behind her head and try to grab him. IT WAS SCARY AND TERRIFYING I TELL YA. I would've never expected her to do that, as she molted to adult in Jan 18 and I thought it was plenty of time for her to be ready and mate. Continuing, with my tweezers and her raptorial claws, we had a sword fight! I saw her get him several times where she would almost chew into his thorax (neck), but I just wouldn't allow it! 
My heart was beating, my face was heating up as I am still wearing a jacket, and my hands were slightly shaking..
All seemed to be going well, but then, I guess the female wasn't ready?? The male sure was. As they were separated, I started to calm down. What an incredible experience that sure was .-.

Comment what you think I should do next, some tips, suggestions, advice, any input you should add!

Questions you could answer:
When should I try again?
When does the female usually call? 
Why isn't the female responsive?
What can I do to prevent this from happening again?
If I made any mistakes, how can I fix them?

Thanks for reading.

wow scary experience I have never breed mantis before but I have read up on it a little bit the next few days I would give the female and male plenty of food then try again in a few days to a week that's what I would do but like I said never breed them I have a ooth and should be getting another soon 

hope this helped :)  

I am glad someone got the miamantis binotatas  from Mantis Monarch and is trying to breed them. I was contiplating getting them but have my hands full with ghost project. I still have  miamantis that that I received from Mantis Monarch which  grew into mature male that is still kicking around with me. As far as breeding advice every thing I have learned corasponds with ghost mantids but can probably used for other species also.

I would message Mantis Monarch for any breeding advice on this species and include details of your delima. 

The ghost mantids are my first time breeding mantids so any advice I have is what I have learned just recently and mainly pertains to ghost mantids . My female ghost was also agresive to my male but apparently she was fixing to lay her first in fertile ooth which is why she was aggressive to male. My female was about 6 weeks mature when she laid her first ooth. Miamantis Binotatas may be different.

How long has the female been mature has it been at least 2 weeks. From my understanding most mantids need to be at least 2 weeks mature

Make sure the female is well fed before hand. She should be pretty plump.

Warm them up ahead of time and directly mist them lightly.

Hopefully this makes the female more receptive.

Try to make sure has food to keep her occupied. Which from your post she had food but dropped it to go after the male.This is the same thing that my female ghost did during her first mating encounter. She laid her first ooth the next day.

Make sure male has room to escape.

I hope this breeding project works out. After I get my bug fund built back up I plan on getting a few more Miomantis  binotatas they are realy neat small species and I totally enjoy my little male. I am not sure but doesnt miomantis nymph's require small feeders like springtails?

Good luck look foward to see more on this breeding project.

Girls tend to call later in the evenings once the sun has gone down. Typically if I have an aggressive response from the female I will stop for the night and try again in a couple days. One thing I will warn with this species is don't feed the boy a lot prior to mating. This is one of the species where the males are very hearty eaters and they can have a hard time connecting if they are full with food because the girls tend to be shorter than the boys are long.

I am glad someone got the miamantis binotatas  from Mantis Monarch and is trying to breed them. I was contiplating getting them but have my hands full with ghost project. I still have  miamantis that that I received from Mantis Monarch which  grew into mature male that is still kicking around with me. As far as breeding advice every thing I have learned corasponds with ghost mantids but can probably used for other species also.

I would message Mantis Monarch for any breeding advice on this species and include details of your delima. 

The ghost mantids are my first time breeding mantids so any advice I have is what I have learned just recently and mainly pertains to ghost mantids . My female ghost was also agresive to my male but apparently she was fixing to lay her first in fertile ooth which is why she was aggressive to male. My female was about 6 weeks mature when she laid her first ooth. Miamantis Binotatas may be different.

How long has the female been mature has it been at least 2 weeks. From my understanding most mantids need to be at least 2 weeks mature

Make sure the female is well fed before hand. She should be pretty plump.

Warm them up ahead of time and directly mist them lightly.

Hopefully this makes the female more receptive.

Try to make sure has food to keep her occupied. Which from your post she had food but dropped it to go after the male.This is the same thing that my female ghost did during her first mating encounter. She laid her first ooth the next day.

Make sure male has room to escape.

I hope this breeding project works out. After I get my bug fund built back up I plan on getting a few more Miomantis  binotatas they are realy neat small species and I totally enjoy my little male. I am not sure but doesnt miomantis nymph's require small feeders like springtails?

Good luck look foward to see more on this breeding project.
No they don't need springtails when little. Melanogaster is fine for them. The female was so fat, it refused food. The female has been adult since Jan 18.

Girls tend to call later in the evenings once the sun has gone down. Typically if I have an aggressive response from the female I will stop for the night and try again in a couple days. One thing I will warn with this species is don't feed the boy a lot prior to mating. This is one of the species where the males are very hearty eaters and they can have a hard time connecting if they are full with food because the girls tend to be shorter than the boys are long.
I thought that applied to all species haha, but yeah sure thing. I think she may soon to be lay an infertile ooth, so imma add a stick to her enclosure. but i thought they can still lay on the lid.

UPDATE:  the male randomly fell from the lid of his enclosure for some reason i dont know. he didnt even bother getting back up. i ended his suffering by putting him in the freezer

Really sorry to hear this. My  miomantis binotata male also seems to be having trouble climbing he matured 10/20/2015 so he is right at 5 months mature really surprises me he is still around. He now spends most of his time on floor of enclosure.Today he isn't moving around much at all he is getting less active by the day. I would send him but not really sure he would even be of any help or that he would survive after a long trip. I hope someone has a fresh mature male to send you. Really enjoyed this species they are small but very active. I hope you will get to breed these.

Good luck

Sorry to hear your male didn't get to breed - what a bummer. Hopefully you can find a male for your female.

Really sorry to hear this. My  miomantis binotata male also seems to be having trouble climbing he matured 10/20/2015 so he is right at 5 months mature really surprises me he is still around. He now spends most of his time on floor of enclosure.Today he isn't moving around much at all he is getting less active by the day. I would send him but not really sure he would even be of any help or that he would survive after a long trip. I hope someone has a fresh mature male to send you. Really enjoyed this species they are small but very active. I hope you will get to breed these.

Good luck
thank you so much for the well wishes. as for the male you have, i think he might be getting towards his end point. the seller i bought my couple from said that they were ready to molt of age but the male's death was so unexpected.

Good luck
Well today my almost 5 month matured miamantis passed this morning. I had a feeling he wasn't going to be around much longer but he did live a impressive 3 days short of being 5 months matured. My other male miamantis only lived for about 2 months after maturing. Have you had any luck locating a mature male? 

Latest posts