First homemade

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, cheese balls or pretzels? I have quite a few of those. It is easier to cut out the label and screen it than try to remove all that sticky, right? Also better for ventilation.

enclosure 001.JPG

there you go

That's the same containers I used. I took the label off without leaving any residue. You just have to go slow and steady with even pressure and it pulls right off cleanly. I also made a large cut-out on the side like that except mine is a door that I can open and close. I find the side access door is much more convenient for putting active prey in because they tend to go up. Plus I can get in there for cleanup, misting, and whatnot without disturbing the mantis (unless the mantis is on the door of course but then I can open the top) or letting the prey out.

I used air conditioning filter material instead of normal screen because it provides good air flow but fruit flies can't easily get out of it (crickets sometimes eat the material though).

I made a little latch out of the extra plastic, bent it into shape and hot glued to the side. The door is just the filter foam tied to a coat hanger which is bent to the shape of the container. All my foam pieces are just held on by wire which makes it easy to replace if needed.

enclo01.jpg
enclo02.jpg

Edit:

I also lightly sand the top clear part of the container (hard to see in picture) just to rough it up a bit so the smaller mantises can grip better on that top corner where it curves over since prey tends to hang out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts