First Mantid Nymphs (Chinese)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithjmc

Reaction score
My mantids hatched about 6 days ago. I started feeding about 4 days ago using fruit flies. It seems that some are eating just fine and others are chasing the food away (including other mantids). I'm not really sure why some aren't eating, I mist daily.

I have recently noticed a significant amount are dying and are at the bottom of the enclosure. I have read that I will lose a significant amount natrually.

How many should I expect to end up with in the end?

Should I remove the dead mantids immediatley?

(It would be difficult to prevent escapes if I have to)

You might end up with ten at best. But of course that is all you really want if you're trying to keep them. Once you get down to the number you want seperate the remainder into 32 oz insect cups. This way you should be left with the strongest.

or you can sell off some of them and keep the rest!
You're not going to sell those. You might have to give them away.
I wouldn't bother trying to sell or give them away. I like to release extras of these in my yard. ;)
I considered this when I first hatched them (I am down to less then 20 now) but when I was researching I assumed that from what I read that only 20-35% will ultimatley survive. I decided not to release any because I wasn't sure if some were destined to die (Not having the will to hunt, born weak, etc.).

So I didn't want to release ones that were going to be strong and live and keep the ones that would end up dying like some kind of bad lottery. Is my perception incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator: