First Sphodromantis "Blue Flash" Adult Pair!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sppc9876

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I wanted to share my excitement of my first adult pair of "blue flash" mantises. Since I assume that people here are more on the picture side than the story side ... allow me to share. Sorry for the poor lighting

Male - molted between 8/26 and 8/28

molted to subadult on 8/1

P1000492800x600-1.jpg

P1000495600x800-1.jpg

Female - molted on 8/29 (around 1 am)

molted to subadult on 8/4

P1000487800x600.jpg

P1000485800x600.jpg

Size comparison between adult female and pre-subadult female (L6)

P1000469.jpg

I had a feeling that both mantises were due for their final molts soon, but I had to take care of some things this weekend away from home. With a measure of hope, I upped the humidity and crossed my fingers hoping that my mantises either didn't molt or that they did it from the right spot. Unfortunately I missed my male's molt, but I did make it back in time to witness my female mid-molt and with good reason since she decided to molt right next to one of the walls of my plastic container which inhibited her from climbing up properly to inflate her wings. :eek: I had to CAREFULLY removed the lid and persuade her (with a soft touch) to hang from the ceiling. It was certainly worth the risk since she has a beautiful pair of wings. B)

On a side note, this is a picture of the L6 female before she molted for reference as to what this species (and others) look like when they are imminently due for a molt. It's so amazing how she went from a bright green to a brownish coloration with a faint green to it but the coloration is way too random to control (or is it - experiment time!)

P1000464.jpg

P1000501800x600.jpg

Finally can join everyone with adults and big mantises!

Would you say this species is larger then the chinese mantis? the first photo or two of the green one made it out to be very large!
I'm fairly certain that the chinese mantis is bigger in length although I don't know by how much. I took measurements of my pair and both slightly reach over 7 cm.

Congrats on the adult male! Wow talk about an aggressive display and awesome "blue flash". I was slightly thrown back when my mantises did their threat display but they never struck my finger. Aside from that, my adult pair seems to be happily married together. I hope they aren't secretly sick since they are eating well. They seem so relaxed and carefree. I have to nudge them pretty hard for them to move a bit when I clean the cage or when I hold them. Seems like I got the stoners of the mantis world. :lol:

Side note: the male is SLIGHTLY longer than the female ... :huh:

More pictures!

Almost looks like she's smiling ...

P1000486800x600.jpg

Where should I fly to?

P1000499800x600-1.jpg

Who forgot to refill the toilet paper?

P1000463800x600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of lazy and clinging mantids that don't like to move, although they like moving up my arm when they are reintroduced to their containers. What a pain in the patoot. :p I will nudge, blow on, pet, even lift up their wings, and they still cling. It is usually my H. multispinas, but my S.carolinas sometimes "get stuck", too. The H. multispinas are more difficult to move, because their tarsae seem more sticky, along with their larger tarsal claws.

I love it , really. :D

Last edited by a moderator: