First successful mating!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgerndt

Reaction score
About a week ago, I decided it was about time for my Miomantis paykulli pair to make some babies. I distracted my female with a nice fat fly, and placed her in front of my male. He was totally oblivious. <_< After lots of flying away and re-catching him, he finally saw my female. It took him forever, but he started creeping closer... then my female felt his back legs on her back and she turned to give him the most terrifying look I had ever seen. :blink: She was NOT happy, so she struck at him and he took flight. I decided to call it a day, so I put them back in their own deli cups once again.

A few days later, I took them both out again. This time, my male was ready! As soon as he saw my female, he went for it! He jumped straight onto her back and started twisting his abdomen. But, he couldn't figure out where to stick it. :rolleyes: So after keeping them together for a few hours, I decided that maybe they should try again another day. I took the lid off their enclosure, and my male jumped off and I put them both away.

Then, last night, I figured they could have another go. I gave the girl some food, and got my male out. He wasn't as eager this time. He just sat behind my female, not moving or even looking at her. I got tired of watching and waiting, so I put them together in a 5.5 gallon tank and left for a few hours. When I came back, they were connected! Woo!! They stayed connected for a few hours, and then my male jumped off, unscathed.

And that was my first successful mantis mating! :D Hopefully my female will produce lots of ooths and I can spread the joy of nymphs to this forum.

WOOT WOOT. You are just the Mantis Maven!
laugh.gif

That species breeds like rabbits.I used to have a bunch of them in a small greenhouse. Had ooths literally everywhere.

use to like this species but they breed like roaches somewhat \and gambians are almost as bad but tend to think the gambians are one of the neater species in my opinion!

Congratulations! I had my first successful mantis mating a couple of years ago with a pair of Carolinas. But the female ate the male, and decided to die without laying an ootheca. She actually split in half (somehow) when she died. :( Weird because I was feeding her really well and keeping her moist and warm. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to breed my Chinese nymphs once they hatch and reach adult. Congrats again on mating your mios!

Thanks everyone! It happened just in time, too. She laid a few beautiful ooths yesterday! Woo hoo! I may try to mate Ghosts or Chinese next. :D First I gotta wait for them to reach adulthood, though.

Thanks everyone! It happened just in time, too. She laid a few beautiful ooths yesterday! Woo hoo! I may try to mate Ghosts or Chinese next. :D First I gotta wait for them to reach adulthood, though.
I'm so excited for you. I'm really hoping to make these my first mantis to breed too, so I'm watching your thread with great interest :)

Wyethia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Wyethia! I raised both of my mios from L1, so the nymphs from these ooths will complete the circle. :D I'm excited to see what colors the nymphs will be, because both parents are very green.

Latest posts