First tarantula

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plex

Reaction score
Today I got my fist tarantula at a reptile & exotics expo! I'm really excited, I've always wanted one... I'm not sure the gender, but it's a Rose Hair and a real sweetheart, though I haven't handled it much since getting him/her since the expo and transporting him/her home seemed to stress the lil' guy a bit I figured it would be best if I put him/her in the enclosure for the night with a little snack. :)

Also I am wondering how to tell the gender? I would like to know at some point, and of all the questions I asked the seller that was one that I forgot... I'd appreciate any help with that, and thank you!

If the dealer knew the sex they generally will mark it as such. Most of the folks at that show would be willing to help with that, just go back next month. Who did you buy from? Kevin

It wasn't marked, so I'll go back next month to ask about it. I got it from a breeder named Evan that's there every month, so when I go next month I'll be able to find him to ask him about it, or one of the other arachnid breeders there.

It wasn't marked, so I'll go back next month to ask about it. I got it from a breeder named Evan that's there every month, so when I go next month I'll be able to find him to ask him about it, or one of the other arachnid breeders there.
I'm an experienced tarantula enthusiast/breeder. If you can take a ventral photo of your specimen focusing on the booklung area I should be able to identify the gender for you if you like.