First time mantis owner!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorrook1

Reaction score
hi! this is my first mantis. anyone know what kind it is? also heres my setup. i caught her in my back yard in indiana. i feed her house flies, moths, crickets and grasshoppers but she dosent really seem interested. i thought maybe she might be getting ready to molt but its been a week. any first time mantis owner tip would be highly appriciated!

baba.jpg

lala.jpg

haha.jpg

yaya.jpg

tata.jpg

It looks like an adult female Stagmomantis species. Maybe Stagmomantis carolina if that is a black spot between her forelegs.

She has already had all her molts so that isnt her issue. Maybe she needs some time to get accustomed to captivity.

Oh! I almost forgot to welcome you.

Welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like an adult female Stagmomantis species. Maybe Stagmomantis carolina if that is a black spot between her forelegs.

She has already had all her molts so that isnt her issue. Maybe she needs some time to get accustomed to captivity.
Yup just like she said!

And welcome to the forum! ;)

Stagmomantis Carolina female. And welcome! She's an adult, she won't ever molt again.

Welcome from CA, Trevor. Have fun with Mantids, they are a kick to own and breed.

Well. I agree on S. carolina. She won't molt as she is an adult now.