First timer from SoCal

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonberries

Reaction score
Hello! Long time amateur naturalist, first time insect keeper here. After finding a lovely female mantis in my apple tree a few weeks ago I got attached and decided to adopt her (having a spacious terrarium lying around to use). I still can't ID her species but I found an ootheca when I got home today! Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the hobby and correct me if I unintentionally do anything I'm not supposed to, as I'm still researching and I wouldn't want any avoidable harm to come to my pet regardless of her being in the last few weeks of her life cycle.

Gertrude says hi upside down (bad photo quality sorry). I'm thinking either S. californica/limbata or Iris oratoria. Thoughts?        

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.21.16 PM.png

Welcome to the forum! I believe that is a stagmomantis limbata, but I could be wrong. She is a beauty!

- MantisGirl13 

Thanks, everyone! The underside of my girl's upper forearms are orange, if that helps distinguish the species. I can't get a good look at the mouthparts and I've never seen her wings. I'd like to try to overwinter the ooth to see if it hatches in the spring (just in case) but I'm nervous about moving it since it is attached to the lid of the terrarium instead of a stick. For some reason she hates being anywhere except hanging from the ceiling. 😕