FL species ID help needed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my neighbors in NE Florida sent me a pic of this dead specimen she found on her property. She's seen more in her bushes. I'm certain it's not a Heterochaeta orientalis... any ideas? It's approximately 2-3 inches. The picture quality may not be clear enough to be useful.

Attachments

• IMG_20240418_101531.jpg
    IMG_20240418_101531.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 5
thesprotia graminis?
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. Something about the eye shape throws me off. I'll be going on a "safari" this Saturday to see if I can find any more. She has a huge wildflower and woodland grass field about a acre. Hopefully I'll find something interesting. If I catch a bunch I'll share. I've never seen this species before. I'll give you first dibs. 😁

Apparently, a trick to finding some is you can spot them flying around in the grass, kinda like how moths do. Check iNaturalist
Thanks! If it is indeed Thesprotia graminis maybe I'll only have to catch one. 😁

I believe they are parthenogenic. I'll do more research. If I find other specimens, beetles, orange isopods, I'll post my catches.

Latest posts