Flies have arrived

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksun

Reaction score
So I went to pick up my flies today, and WOW is all I can say. They gave me about 3000 flies, in 25 culture vials, with medium and all. I found out they use medium they purchase, and just add water. The formula is very basic, cornmeal, yeast, water, agar (thickening) and something for preservation, they weren't sure what it was but thought it was honey or fructose.

Anyway, they buy the stuff from VWR, accessible at VWR.com, and they sell in the US and Canada.

The culture comes in powder and premix, but some of them are restricted meaning you must have an account complete with application to buy. The reason for this is they report purchases to the authorities as it can be used for drug production. Anyway, the lady on the phone when I called didn't see a big problem.

You can find the culture, and the breeding vials, and lots of other goodies on their web site. You can also order tons of different variations of fruit flies from them. To find the culture stuff and variations of flies put the term Drosophila into their site search. They also have culture vials http://www.vwrcanlab.com/catjpg/041/041847.jpg but I don't think they are a good as the ones hibiscusmile has.

Anyway, a great resource, but beware some of their items are sold by the case only ie: 100 or 500 quantities.

Some of the other stuff they had was impressive, but lab quality, like incubators, coolers, and cases that look like they are used for handling the flies, counting them etc in a controlled environment. Nothing any of us could need or use, not to say we wouldn't want it.

Wayne

Latest posts