Flies not hatching!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
So I just got my new shipment of mantids and flies.

But the flies I have have not been hatching and its been almost 48 hours

My violins have gone stir crazy and I think a meal will calm them down. But aside that, the rest need food. I cant rely on moths outside anymore becasue they are harder to find in summer. These are house flies. How long do they take to eclose? ;) :)

Thanks to all

Ya. I caught a small hummingbird moth last night and fed it to my female ghost. Then I caught a smaller moth and fed it to my adult Female Popa. So I need more food. But finding moths takes about 45 minutes every night

I always run a tester group as soon as I get my pupae from Rebecca to see how long they will take, even if I have a bunch already hatched from the last order. Some hatch the next day some take 4-5 days, but once you know you can adjust to suit your needs, like maybe leaving the whole order(500-1000) out for a day or two before putting them back in the fridge so when I need them there ready in a very short a time.

Last time I ordered flies from rebecca I had a ZERO hatch rate even after ten days. I now order from grubco and they hatch within 72 hours @ 90%+ hatch rate.

I order 500 count, and pupate half immediately, and half 2 weeks later. I just keep the adults alive at 70 degrees with feedings of honey and bee pollen

I ordered them from Carey. They usually hatch for me. But they do it sooner.

I will keep the adults in the fridge while takign them out 3 times a day to warm the up and feed them. But they need to hatch first. LOL ;)

Yep, I had a problem with a batch from her also, got a little worried there as Idolo don't like crickets much.

I have ordered my last 3-4 flys from Carey (thanks for the rush delivery last week!! Carey)

I do find their hatch rates vary...I am sure due to the flux in temp during delivery (although she did use cold pacs) and normal weater fluctuations just prior to her shipping, and different pupation rates in each batch. But the Blue Bottles hatch faster and more consistantly than the house flys for me. I will not order house flys next round since they are smaller that I really need and they dont stay "sluggish" as long as BBF do when I fridge them before feeding. one thing I learned is now I order BBF pupa AND spikes, so the spikes can be refrigerated and then taken out to pupate then frigerated again beore taking out to eclose. so I am getting more constant hatches and can "gut-load" on honey & BBfood for a few days.

so now when I get the order I refrigerate about half the batch, leave the other half out 1-2 days and depending on how many hatch I will fridge the appropriate remainders and keep them seperate from the other fridge group, taking some from each group dailey to have a good spread on hatches. I keep "new hatched" in one 32oz deli and the "fed" ones in another and the "old" ones over 3-4 days in last container (so I can move the "fed"s to the "olds" after feeding mantids, then moving "news" to the "fed" container for 3-4 days)

I ordered them from Carey. They usually hatch for me. But they do it sooner.

I will keep the adults in the fridge while takign them out 3 times a day to warm the up and feed them. But they need to hatch first. LOL ;)
I recently got some from Carey that aren't hatching. I only got about 3 or 4 flies out of them in a week.

Ok! no flies have hatched. I am getting kind a nervous cause I have 11 mouths to feed! (I know doesnt sound like a lot but an adult female who I am trying to gut load ofr mating with no flies is hard)

Im gonna buy some new flies tonight. (Mantis Place)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts