Flies not hatching!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fly shortages SUCK! I'm currently waiting on some BB to hatch and I will be in the clear. My fly production was majorly affected by some recent colder weather. The weather has been great more recently and I have loads of GB and BB maggots "brewing" and lots of maggots making their "exodus" to pupate. I just need this first batch of fresh pupae to hatch and I'm back in business.

if u live in a warm area, get dry indoor catfood, wet it, put it in a bowl, set it outside for flies to lay eggs on, and in about 3 weeks u will have fully grown maggots if after a few days u put the bowl in a bucket so nothing other than maggots eat the catfood, cornmeal underneath this is good for pupation

patrickfraser has a whole topic on it :)

Here is the "crop" from today.

These are the Blue Bottles.

DSCN2637.jpg

And these are the Green Bottles (not as many, but enough) :D

DSCN2639.jpg

Do you pluck out the cocoons
I leave them together and put them in the fridge for keeping. As I pull out maggots to pupate I just try to get as many as I can that have already pupated. Having a few pupae in with the maggots helps to signal the impending hatch once all have pupated.

I dont get to read all the post, but my bbs take longer to hatch then most as I pupae them myself, so you always get fresh fly pupae, not outdated and ready to die pupae and they take just as long for me to hatch, what u have to do it order before you have to have them hatch, u cannot wait till the last minute and then order, that only insures u get a late hatch. now sometimes the supplier will be sending early or late maggots, it all depends on them. You all do know that grubco gets their blue bottle maggots from the same place I do? Also Chuck always sends a nice order and I buy off of him two times a month, but the other two are off someone else who raise them just for me. Notice one week fly pupae will be smaller and light brown, next week bigger and dark brown, 2 different suppliers, to insure I never run out of flies. But some flies are fresher than others, is why most times, one pupae shipment will hatch sooner than another. But here is something you all need to realize is that if their flies and my flies did not hatch, where did we get new flies from?

I leave them together and put them in the fridge for keeping. As I pull out maggots to pupate I just try to get as many as I can that have already pupated. Having a few pupae in with the maggots helps to signal the impending hatch once all have pupated.
I have a mind bending question! Do you wash your hands after or just lick your finger's like a real man... :lol: You my friend, made me hungry for chicken fried rice!

I ran out of cornmeal and used italian style bread crumbs...no problems so far and I like to imagine the hatched BB smell like a nice exotic meal!!!

Latest posts