Florida Entomology Camp!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantiseater

Reaction score
In two weeks I'll be going to Florida with my dad for a week long entomology camp at the university of Florida's entomology and nemotology, study of nematodes, department. Ive gone for the past two years and it has been awesome. The area we hunt in is filled with gonatista grisea, Brunneria borealis, and thesprotia graminis. I have heard that unicorn mantises and callimantis have been found there is it true? has anyone here found found one there? While we are there my dad is willing to drive anywhere between the georgia florida border up to Tampa to look for mantises. Does anyone here have any advice on somewhere that we should visit to look for mantises?

One of the camp counselors works at the department of agriculture so he brought my dad and I in through the back door on the last day of camp to show me the mantis specimens. It was amazing, two whole rows filled with mantids. and guess what they had? Male brunners mantises from all over south america! They also had a shadow box filled with choeradodis, which was the only box I got a picture of, and a box filled with mantoida maya. The head curator said when I come next year he'll let me identify and re-pin their mantis collections!!!

I havent been that lively on the forums lately and I guess I missed this thread, I only wish I was closer to Gainesville; I probably would've gone every chance I got.What an awesome opportunity.. how are all the mantids doing? (and when you say larger florida mantid, you mean Stagmomantis floridensis ?)

Cheers,

Andrew

I havent been that lively on the forums lately and I guess I missed this thread, I only wish I was closer to Gainesville; I probably would've gone every chance I got.What an awesome opportunity.. how are all the mantids doing? (and when you say larger florida mantid, you mean Stagmomantis floridensis ?)

Cheers,

Andrew
they are doing alright i've been going to sleep away camps throughout the summer so a lot of them didn't survive. Now i only have 6 brunners, 2 adult female thesprotia graminis, 2 sub adult carolina, 1 sub male larger florida mantids, and 9 skeleton stick insects. By larger florida mantis I do mean Stagmomantis floridensis

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts