Florida mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Callimantis floridana isn't a valid name. It is a synonym of Stagmomantis vicina, which should occur in Florida. However, it may well be that St. vicina is also a synonym of some other Stagmomantis species. This genus lacks a revision, as often...Callimantis is actually a somewhat strange, monotypic genus from the Greater Antilles.

Both SE Texas and Florida are subtropical, but their fauna is slightly different due to biogeographic constrictions. While Florida has more affinities to the Antilles and the Yucatan Peninsula, SE Texas is reached by some primary tropical taxa from mainland Mesoamerica. Very good examples are found in mantids: Gonatista is primarily a Carribean genus; Mantoida maya originates from the Yucatan Peninsula. Phyllovates chlorophaea ("forest" species) and Pseudovates arizonae ("arid" species) both belong to genera with their highest diversity in South and Central America. Oligonicella , Thesprotia and Stagmomantis are also Meso- and South American, but have protruded farther into the Nearktis.
I have been hearing all these sientifec name and I have no idea what they mean. :huh: Is there a specsiel meaning for each one in latin?

I live in the state of FL also (just moved here 4 months ago), and according to a 2003 .pdf report I read from the University of Florida College of Entomology, the following species can be found in Florida:Brunner’s Mantid (Brunneria borealis)

Carolina Mantid (Stagmomantis carolina)

Chinese Mantid (Tenodera aridifolia)

European Mantid (Mantis religiosa)

Grass-Like Mantid (Thesprotia graminis)

Grizzled Mantid (Gonatista grisea)

Larger Florida Mantid (Stagmomantis floridensis)

Minor Ground Mantid (Litaneutria minor)

Narrow-Winged Mantid (Tenodera angustipennis)

Scudder’s Mantid (Oligonicella scudderi)

Texas Unicorn Mantid (Phyllovates chlorophaea)

Some of these species were introduced, but all of them are considered endemic to FL at this time. Florida is a big state, so naturally where you live will determine what species you might run into. I live just to the south of the Panhandle, west coast, and I have captured the following species thus far:

glmantid.jpg
grmantid.jpg

lgflmantid.jpg

scmantid.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jack

That was very helpfull and that was very consderate of you! I happen to live in southern florida and I was wondering if you knew of any spieses that primaraly live down here, do you know of any such mantids?

I really don't, sorry.

You might want to plug-in each scientific name into Google and add +range and see what you come up with.

For instance, Gonatista grisea+range, and if you read through a few you can usually get an idea if the species is in your area or not. Or you can try "south florida+mantids" and see what you come up with ...

Jack

Latest posts