Fly Larvae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, its circumstances.

But i will say if i wanted flies but couldn't get flies delivered straight to my door, then pupa, castors, crysalis would be my next bet because they are closer to the fly stage. After hatching they then have to be gut loaded, which adds more time to the process.

I can see your point, you have a lot of mantids and need such volumes of flies and you buy maggots in large quantitys much like i do, it is easier to control these amounts.

I buy a pint at a time, [blue/greenbottle mix] put the lot in the greenhouse and wait for them to hatch at between 65f night temps to 85- 90f day temps, half way through the pupal stage[about a week] i usually buy another pint [if tackle shop is open?] i always have hundreds more than i can use.

People who dont have large numbers of mantis wont need the same volumes of flies and pupae will be fine for them and will reward them quicker.

I have large quantitys of fruit fly feeding/breeding on bruised banana, the blue/greenbottles feed on the juices that drip from this and i usually pore an amount of honey/royal jelly over a tray of mashed banana specifically for the larger flies, kept like this they last for weeks and i can always rely on picking out well gut loaded flies to feed. I also believe they are a better food if they are allowed to fly around for a few days and fully develop there flight muscles.

Latest posts