Fly problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have about 100 house fly pupae laft but they wont hatch. They have been in the freezer for a month. Also my cage is about 80 degrees could that be why? Should a buy a new bunch? Is their a specific method for feeding I should try so they can hatch?

I've never used the freezer for pupae, as I fear it's too cold and they will die. I store my fly pupae in the fridge and they last for 3-4 weeks beforeh hatch rates substantially decline. Sounds like yours have expired. :(

freezer will kill them, fridge works wonders for BBs, and does seem to work for HF too, just not as good. I always have many that dont hatch. but i always sperate them into different containers,leave them out for 1-2 days, then feed them, then put them back in the fridge for 3-4 days...repeat steps...makes them last sooo much longer

easier to feed to after just pulling them out of the fridge, they move slow and dont fly :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Freezer = Death

Pupae only last 2 weeks or less under refrigeration. The longer they are refrigerated the fewer will actually hatch. So if you depend on flies for food if using pupae you will need to get a fresh batch every 2 weeks or less.

Maggots on the other hand last up to 2 MONTHS refrigerated. The only disadvantage is you have to plan ahead as pupation takes a few days, then another 7-10 days before they hatch. So buy 500 at a time and bring out batches that will be enough food for a week. Then bring out a fresh batch once a week and you'll be good.

Both last in fridge, sorry if I misled you gripen, but as the poster said he put them in freezer, and even though fllies pupae live thru the winter, they are under the dirt and for some reason that keeps them safe, just putting in freezer dont work, dont know why.

If your having a problem with hatching do to pupae in the frige to long, you can always hatch out most of them and keep the hatched flies in the fridge, taking them out for a hour or so a day to feed them some honey(warmed back up) and get some to your mantis, they will last longer than if out in room temp 24/7.

Well sometimes one may get out, but the cold flies are easy to put in the tanks without much fight, and my cat loves the chase if one does get out, lol.

Latest posts