Fly?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertine101

Reaction score
Do mantids ever fly? My mantis has had wings now for 2 weeks and I have yet to see it fly. Will it ever?

they so to that :p
Depends on the species. Some are more able bodied than others. Males are usually the best at it since the females get heavy when they get fat with eggs.Have you tried coaxing your mantis to fly to you? That's how I always get all mine to fly when they are adults.

Funniest thing I've ever experience with a flying mantis had to be with my first one, Krissim Klaw. She had just discovered her wings a few days prior. I was sitting on my bed with her resting on my arm while I was munching on some M&M's. My mom walked by and saw me eating and wanted some only she was deathly afraid of my mantises. I kept reaching my hand out but was jokingly pulling it back and forth toward the mantis so my mom kept prancing back and forth trying to snag some candy. Well little old Krissim Klaw got so excited by my mom's swaying she just had to say hello. Next thing you know she launched herself in the air and my mom went screaming across my room and out the door. Krissim managed to follow her till she dodged sideways out the door leaving her to land alone on my desk. Poor little dear never could figure out why my mom fled without saying hi first. :wub:

2263131282_f5d2434878_o.jpg

first time I saw my mantid fly was a fun time. Luckily my wife likes the critters because he landed right on her nose. :lol:

Females of those species with full wings can often fly pretty good until they gain a litte weight. I once caught a female chinese and she fly away and I could not catch her. Flew as well as a male.

females can fly..but like rick said soon as they gain weight they find it very hard.

macro junkie, how do you get your mantids to fly for your shots? my male paradoxa flew once when my wahlbergii got a little too close for comfort, but not seen them fly normally

Depends on the species. Some are more able bodied than others. Males are usually the best at it since the females get heavy when they get fat with eggs.Have you tried coaxing your mantis to fly to you? That's how I always get all mine to fly when they are adults.

Funniest thing I've ever experience with a flying mantis had to be with my first one, Krissim Klaw. She had just discovered her wings a few days prior. I was sitting on my bed with her resting on my arm while I was munching on some M&M's. My mom walked by and saw me eating and wanted some only she was deathly afraid of my mantises. I kept reaching my hand out but was jokingly pulling it back and forth toward the mantis so my mom kept prancing back and forth trying to snag some candy. Well little old Krissim Klaw got so excited by my mom's swaying she just had to say hello. Next thing you know she launched herself in the air and my mom went screaming across my room and out the door. Krissim managed to follow her till she dodged sideways out the door leaving her to land alone on my desk. Poor little dear never could figure out why my mom fled without saying hi first. :wub:
How do you coax your mantids to fly to you?My mantids only chase other people. :p

macro junkie, how do you get your mantids to fly for your shots? my male paradoxa flew once when my wahlbergii got a little too close for comfort, but not seen them fly normally
Most of my males will fly simply because their out of their container.

I had my ghost adult male out the other day and it took off. I lost it for about 3 minutes and then i seen it. What a relief. I was scared for a second.

Latest posts