Flying Fruit Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisNation

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Flying FF cultures can be purchased?? I've seen them on one site before, unfortunately I can't remember the site i saw them on.

I think people just do them by hand. You make up your media and leave it out to be taken over by wild or feral flies.

It takes longer, because your first gen might be small, but after that things should bobble along fine.

I am sure they can be bought, I would be surprised if carolina doesn't sell them.

But unless you need them producing soon, then consider trying to cultivate wild ones.

In the Sunny Southwest, we are in the middle of the winter citrus season, and there are some fruit flies around, though not nearly as many as we will see in the spring.

Are there any available indoors in the Frozen North at this time of year, though?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have some buzzing around the kitchen right now. And this is completely independent of the zoo (and it's 3 day old fruit) and of the cultures we maintain.

Not that it's the north here. But it's no colder inside anywhere else. FFs are always around. Even if it can't be explained.

In the Sunny Southwest, we are in the middle of the winter citrus season, and there are some fruit flies around, though not nearly as many as we will see in the spring.

Are there any available indoors in the Frozen North at this time of year, though?
Sorry for the late reply...

Yes, every now and then I get wild FF due to all the wet gutload I use for my feeders.

Thankfully I wound up getting some ghosts and the problem is mostly gone.

Harry

Sorry for the late reply...

Yes, every now and then I get wild FF due to all the wet gutload I use for my feeders.

Thankfully I wound up getting some ghosts and the problem is mostly gone.

Harry
Wow! In NYC, yet! But you see them as a problem? I had to coax just enough into a pot, when I first posted this thread, to start a colony. I love 'em!

Interesting, Yeah I think I'll start using them for the species i tend to grow communally so all I would really need to do is get a good prospering culture with some decent sized holes inside a mesh cage with the nymphs and let nature play its roll until the culture is wiped out (which should take some time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild fruit fly breed faster than the wingless or flightless fruit fly under the same condition. Work best when feeding lot of nymphs in a large enclosure.

Wow! In NYC, yet! But you see them as a problem? I had to coax just enough into a pot, when I first posted this thread, to start a colony. I love 'em!
Personally I don't find them a problem. But then again, picking them out of your morning coffee could turn off a few people. :)

Thankfully, a vendor didn't ship my FFs on time, so in order to feed my L1 and L2 ghosts that I got I just poked holes in the tubs and added a slice of orange. 2 problems solved with 1 idea. Not bad for a rookie, huh?

Harry

+1

Spider Farms prices are great, I just placed an order. Shipping is excellent (normal really).

Just one question. Why would you want "flying" FF's. There are two different kinds of melanogaster FF that can "fly" perse. They are curly wing and Turkish Gliders/Hoppers. They can hop to an extent. Would these work? Just wondering is all.

I was asking about the Flying FFs because when you have a lot of nymphs hatching and have them in a large mesh cage, It's easier to use flying insects to insure their food gets to them, and like Hibiscus said, i would let the culture grow on its own and maintain itself in the cage.

Latest posts