Flying with mantids--can I bring them in my carry-on or put them in my checked bag, or do I need to ship them home?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamnotdads

Reaction score
I have to fly home from school for winter break in a couple of weeks, and I am not sure what to do with my Ghost mantids. Has anyone flown with theirs? I called Southwest a year ago about the mantis I had then, and they said I would have to pay the same fee as if I brought a cat or dog. Can I fly with them in my carry-on (on Southwest)? What would I say when they want to put my bag through the x-ray? Can I bring them in my checked luggage? Do I need to ship them home? If the airport will not allow me to have them, I have no way of getting to a post office to send them home before my flight. If I should ship them, how do I ship mantids that are adolescents? I don't think they would fit in tiny condiment cups. Anyone have any advice?

That’s scary cause if you go and what if they say you can’t take them with you. Plus they might say something because they are non native. That’s my thoughts. How big are your ghost mantises?

They are not adults yet! I think they are between L4-L5. One might be L6, but the L6 photo looks a bit bigger than that mantis is. It makes sense that they would be L5-L6, though, since I have had them since September.

Ship them home through express, it's the easiest way. Add a heat pack if it's very cold where you live. You can place them in 16oz deli cups, glue a paper towel on the bottom, and spray it before placing the mantis in for shipping. Feed and water the mantis the day before shipping. Make sure you get a big box, and place crumpled newspaper as packing material. Wrap the deli cups in newspaper and tape them shut. There's a great video in our mantis Facebook group called Mantis Madness on how you ship if you have further questions ??.  The shipping methods are used by my friend @Mantis Monarch Hope that helps. ?

Latest posts