Food keeps burrowing NEED HELP!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro92

Reaction score
I'm feeding my mantis small dubia roach nymphs and they keep burrowing so i took everything out and used a flat object and pressed coco fiber down really hard to make it somewhat harder to burrow. What should i do can someone post some pics of their cages. I have a chinese praying mantis about 3 inches long. I also DONT know what L5 L4 L3 L2 L1 ETC mean what do they mean. What is a good substrate for the bottom of the cage/ container to use.

l1 l2 l3 etc means the instar of the mantis so l3= 3rth instar l4 the 4th instar etc... about the burrowing food try handfeeding or food whit crickets or flies

Substrate purpose is to a) Hold moisture, and B) improve the appearance of the container. Most use Sphagnum moss for a substrate, but ground crawlers still hide in it, and you end up picking out dead feeders, or throwing all the moss out and replacing it for cleaning each time.

You can get Sphagnum moss or sponges at mantisplace.com, (the sponges REALLY hold moisture for humidity, look very professional, and you rinse them for cleaning).

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

Just use paper towel, chinese mantids don't really need a lot of humidity. I've kept them for a long time and I just use paper towels myself, it's a lot easier to clean also. But if you're in for the look of natural substrate, try flying insects, since crickets like to burrow also.

Just use paper towel, chinese mantids don't really need a lot of humidity. I've kept them for a long time and I just use paper towels myself, it's a lot easier to clean also. But if you're in for the look of natural substrate, try flying insects, since crickets like to burrow also.
Ditto. I use paper napkins, paper towels, cotton cosmetic rounds and squares...sometimes nothing at all. If you can keep humidity adequate, substrate isn't necessary. I keep hatchlings in mesh tents with no substrate. I have to mist them frequently, but it's all good. Nice white paper napkin and food doesn't stand a chance. I am able to keep many mantids shelved in one room in my house without it smelling like dirt. :)

Latest posts