For newbs and anyone else really...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the purpose of your post Brian. Lots of questions... Why post details about idolomantis diabolica care in a new topic when there's already a great thread detailing their care? Why do you leave water out? Why do you mention "drinking water" for a lobata? Why define what a "pro" is?

No offense but given your feedback thread, I question if you are in a position to make suggestions about how to properly raise/sell mantids as a "pro".
:huh: :lol: :clap: I concur.

60 Idolo's is a lot to raise for breeding...
how many adults do you think would make it to adult hood from 60 L1 nymphs?

Most idolos are from WC ooths. some are weak, as others are hardy and stronger. some come from a crappy ooth, maybe by shipping at the wrong time of development, or some parasitic stuff, idk.

All I know is that I have been talking to many idolo breeders, and some groups of idolos mis molt much easier than others. even at L1!

I've had great success getting idolos to sub adults. But since I only had something as small as a 2.2 or 2.3 i decided to sell them instead of risking and getting only 1.0 since many sub adults mis molt.

For those of you who have only raised 2 or 3 idolos and succeded and got them to healthy, perfectly shaped adults, hats off to you! bravo! lol

This post was intended to help newbs save money and not make the same mistakes I made. Nobody told me how many idolos they originally started off with! I had no idea that these breeders had more than 50 L1 nymphs to begin their breeder colony!

In the beginning, I thought these breeders simply had the idolos' envronment down to a science.

I found L1s and L2s and L3s and L4s rarely mis molt... That L5 instars had a higher risk of mis molting, and the bigger they get, the higher chance of mis molting they have.

Then I started to believe these successful idolo breeders got lucky with a strong strain since providing an idolo's environment really isn't all too hard.

Then I started talking to several folks over seas.

Some WC ooths hatch strong nymphs as other WC ooths hatch out weak nymphs.

So I am simply providing new comers and whoever else some info. That's all. Yes I am "ranting" I guess? lol But hey, I prefer to save people money and I prefer to see people be successful with this species!

Instead of 30 people thru-out the US buying 5 or 6 nymphs, each person ends up with what? 1 or 2 adults? It's hard to get breeder loans, etc.

I hope to see more CB idolos in culture as we all do!

But getting a colony going, and getting CB babies going, costs money. This is the ultimate goal we all got here in the mantis community.

So to be successful from my info. gathered and my honest opinion:

Provide an ideal environment.

Start off with a lot of nymphs!

A larger count of nymphs is required since some groups of idolos come from not as healthy ooths.

This is why I recommend using individual cups. This takes a few more minutes, come on guys it's not hard to check a single nymph in a clear deli cup to see if they are eating, and to check whether or not they look too fat so hold on feeding to help with mis molts.

A group of idolos in a single cage, yes they can do great, I've had many 10-20 count idolo groups in instar L1/L2/L3 live communally and only had 1 mis molt... But I also had a batch of idolos at L1 where I had more than a few mis molts.

Henry, I lost many orchid nymphs due to the fact that I made a poor decision and used "pre-used poly fabric lids that had dried glue from having little wood chips glued to it for molting for other species"... The orchids that made it to L2 were the nymphs that were housed in cups with clean/new poly fabric lids. The loss sucks, and of course it's all on me lol. Trial and error my friends. Always use lids that never had a lot of stuff glued to it before! :(

My feed back has nothing to do with this? So please just don't bring that up. If you knew my story I highly doubt you would of even brought that up. PM me if you want to hear it, seriously. :)

This thread is to explain to newbs that any1 can care for any species just as well as the other guy. As long as you know their methods. This thread is on Lobata and idolo.

Lobata need many males.

Idolo, you really should start off with at least 50 L1's if you want to end up with a nice amount of adults that molt to a perfect shape. As you know, or maybe you don't? An adult male idolo is worthless if he has a bent limb... Idolos are not only clumsy, but they really need to be perfectly formed as adults to get a decent amount of connecting done. Males especially, since they are the ones who need to be aggressive during mating since they have to hold on to the female and mount while pressing on her. Sometimes you get a pair of mantids that mate easily, sometimes you get a pair with a female that isn't too nice to the male and gives a lot of "aggressive teasing" if you will. lol

Why are trash talking my hard earned success with not one? but 3? Prego Idolo females, be rest assured I did not get lucky it was all about how I raised them as whole that got me unlimited Idolo there Brian, but I don't consider myself a "Pro", so call it luck if you need too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts