Fore leg injury / climbing problems

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IzzHrz

Reaction score
My orchid nymph recently got stuck on side mesh, injuring her left foreleg. Her tarsus on the right foreleg is already missing when i got her. Now she cant climb the sides of her enclosure nor the mesh. Is there anything i could do to help her?

@IzzHrz Depending on the injury mantids are able to repair the damage after a molt or two. If the nymph is unable to molt by properly hanging, you will likely have to intervene to give her a chance. Keep her fed and well cared for and she may successfully molt on her own - even if unable to climb normally, some nymphs still mange to do it for molting.

If however she is unable to hang upside down on mesh to molt when it comes time, you can try attaching her walking legs tarsi to the mesh (member MantidBro has had success doing that in the past). He used small pieces of tape - see here. I would recommend that you ensure there were no sticky edges exposed for the molted mantid to become stuck and damaged on afterwards though.

Another trick I saw was member Kermit used small clamps see here to let the nymph hang properly.

Best of luck to you both.

If it is just the forearms that can't grip, if you can get the nymph hanging upside down from the other four legs, that might even be enough I would think.  They only hang from the back four legs when molting so the difficulty would be in getting to that upside down position and maybe also the flip to climb to safety after the molt is complete.

You could try creating some easy access routes to the mesh that aren't completely vertical, or simply put the nymph onto the lid yourself if it's showing signs of being ready to molt.  And if you manage to catch it in the process, you could be on standby to help it complete the flip after getting out of the exuvia if needed.

Not sure if the above helps, just a few thoughts that came to mind.  Best of luck to your nymph!

Latest posts