forum trends

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelofdeathzz

Reaction score
I have so many friends that want me to help with the proper scientific endeavor, to keep things proper and straight forward here as far as new species and such, but i also have friends that like to clown around(alot really), and to tell you the truth I like both, so what do you people think is more important, real hard core only talk about mantis or having some fun? Could it be possible to do both???

People have put their trust in me more than I could count lately so I just what to do what is good for everybody, whether i know you or not, I'm a team player or a least try to be...

Ok, so here is how i think it should be organized.

Mantis discussion should be serious, and other discussion should be fun!!!

I am serious in mantis discussion, but clowning around is fun in the other discussion. I do both because i don't want to sound repetitive

I would prefer a more serious atmosphere, with some fun. I dislike when people post only to make a joke or comment on something irrelevant.

But i enjoy the fun posts that also have fact, or a serious comment or question.

Did i comment right? This confused me a bit

Ooh I like this topic!

I think that the serious stuff needs to remain so.

Like the Idolo. Consolo. Thread, I know we've beaten that to death. But it was very difficult to get through all of that and find pertinent info.

As far as the dislike button I personally feel it's a negative tone to set.

As far as getting rid of other discussion period, which I think Bugtrader had mentioned in another thread. I think that would actually be detrimental to the whole forum.

You know you could be in the Other Forum shootin the breeze about your new Halloween costume and you might meet someone in there who teaches you new serious mantis stuff or leads to more sales for a breeder. Should we be encouraging newcomers to the mantid loving "community" or just using this site to do the business we already have and just trade notes privately.

You can already do that with the PM system here.

I vote for ya'll loosening your ties and havin' a beer!

But I still don't want a bunch of off topic ###### in serious threads. If I have been guilty of this in the past I will do better.

I like the mixture of both

if you dont want to read it ya dont have too
That is my mentality, i rarely use the off topic forum, i just feel like people are using it more than the mantis discussions sometimes haha

I believe that nothing ha to be removed, but maybe we can try to change the atmosphere of the Mantid Discussions to a more "formal" one

Jude Your awesome let that be said! But I want some real perspective from more people that know what I'm putting down? Not just agreeing with another good point of view??? Is joking OK in a important(veiwed 500+) thread if you speak on topic or should some be locked, only to be posted by a mod(after viewing?)...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if the other discussion is taken away the "fun" stuff off topic stuff would probably trickle into the other threads

its a way to blow off steam and de-stress sometimes

I'll just say that if you want to say something to someone, why not use a pm? There is too much conversation (and I use that term very loosely) among posts that have absolutely nothing to do with them. Don't get me started on all the "quoting" of pictures in a post. :mad:

I agree with patrickfraser. Posts are being used a lot as conversational pms consistently everywhere in the forums. I think this is why we should reinstate the chat nobody used back then. maybe now people will use it. I know I will be on it. I'm an avid chatter. I just don't post much. I'm a lurker in forums usually.

I agree with petoly. If the chat was added again, I think the chat that occurs on the forum will be done where it belongs. I know a few members on the UKMF, where I do my chatting, but there just aren't enough.

I like the tone of the forum now. The number of people who post is very small, in fact the top 20 posters often constitute 85-99% of the total posts. This gives people a good place to make friends and get to know the other posters. It gives the overall forum a good tone because it is possible to know a little something about every member. If the forum were bigger, I would agree with you, but given the small number of active members, the occasional off-topic post is actually beneficial because it helps us make friends and apply some personality behind each avatar.

If off-topic posts were entirely deleted from most of the sub-forums, I think that it would be a much less friendly place to post.

I agree with patrickfraser. Posts are being used a lot as conversational pms consistently everywhere in the forums. I think this is why we should reinstate the chat nobody used back then. maybe now people will use it. I know I will be on it. I'm an avid chatter. I just don't post much. I'm a lurker in forums usually.
I agree with petoly. If the chat was added again, I think the chat that occurs on the forum will be done where it belongs. I know a few members on the UKMF, where I do my chatting, but there just aren't enough.
I think the chat feature was an additional cost for the site and nobody was using it. There are plenty of free chat apps online and members are free to text each other. Maybe start a thread suggesting everyone who wants to chat install the same app or start a chat group or something along those lines. You could even include those details in your signature area or listed in your interests.

But, yeah, absolutely is the conversations in threads that muck everything up. That's what the PM system is for and some users choose to ignore that and ask favors or work out deal in the thread. All we can do is let those members know it's not helpful or respectful to do it. Let them know you don't like it and contact an admin. I've posted some threads where I clearly state people should PM me if interested in getting on a list, etc., and certain members (I will not name because I'll be accused of picking on them) still comment instead.

I like the tone of the forum now. The number of people who post is very small, in fact the top 20 posters often constitute 85-99% of the total posts. This gives people a good place to make friends and get to know the other posters. It gives the overall forum a good tone because it is possible to know a little something about every member. If the forum were bigger, I would agree with you, but given the small number of active members, the occasional off-topic post is actually beneficial because it helps us make friends and apply some personality behind each avatar.

If off-topic posts were entirely deleted from most of the sub-forums, I think that it would be a much less friendly place to post.
I've been a member here for over 2 years now. I've bred many species, given a lot of advice, but I get pretty bored answering the same questions and seeing photos of the same species again and again. The off topic forums are a way for me to keep an active presence even if there is nothing else interesting going on. I've met a lot of great people here and enjoy socializing with them regardless of the topic. The off topic forums are good for that and, like Mime454 said, filling out our view of the personalities we're dealing with. I've got to admit that some of the strongest connections I've made with members have nothing to do with mantids. I've gotten great technical advice on a range of subjects and some of those contacts came from off topic threads.

I think the chat feature was an additional cost for the site and nobody was using it. There are plenty of free chat apps online and members are free to text each other. Maybe start a thread suggesting everyone who wants to chat install the same app or start a chat group or something along those lines. You could even include those details in your signature area or listed in your interests.

But, yeah, absolutely is the conversations in threads that muck everything up. That's what the PM system is for and some users choose to ignore that and ask favors or work out deal in the thread. All we can do is let those members know it's not helpful or respectful to do it. Let them know you don't like it and contact an admin. I've posted some threads where I clearly state people should PM me if interested in getting on a list, etc., and certain members (I will not name because I'll be accused of picking on them) still comment instead.

I've been a member here for over 2 years now. I've bred many species, given a lot of advice, but I get pretty bored answering the same questions and seeing photos of the same species again and again. The off topic forums are a way for me to keep an active presence even if there is nothing else interesting going on. I've met a lot of great people here and enjoy socializing with them regardless of the topic. The off topic forums are good for that and, like Mime454 said, filling out our view of the personalities we're dealing with. I've got to admit that some of the strongest connections I've made with members have nothing to do with mantids. I've gotten great technical advice on a range of subjects and some of those contacts came from off topic threads.
I Agree with most of what is stated above. I think though that while adding personalities to are posts (Which I suck at doing, and no I am not autistic) we must remember that the main point of this forum is mantids not socializing.

you don't necessarily have to pay for a chat app.

http://www.webchatapp.com/

http://www.phpfreechat.net/

http://www.braveapps.com/chat/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freecs/

http://www.phpopenchat.org/

https://www.phpbb.com/

http://www.everywherechat.com/

those are all free chat servers and I am finding more.

another alternative would be to have an IRC server, and use a java chat applet on here to connect to the irc server. that way you don't need an irc client to join it. the java app acts as the chat software.

you don't necessarily have to pay for a chat app.
I was taking a guess that cost was part of reason chat was dropped, but you may want to pass that info to the admins. I would guess most free add-ons also introduce advertizing which may be a consideration in choosing not to use them. Again, that's an assumption. I don't need evidence one way or another as I don't make any decisions here. Pass that to admins.

There are also tons of free chat apps that don't require integration with the forum. That's an immediate solution that doesn't require changing the forum.

Latest posts