Found a dying mantis outside

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful story and photos, she looks great. Sounds like a experience you will have fond memories of, minus her biting you. :D

It's your choice, but I'd bring her inside permanently to avoid a cold death, and share more time together.

Last I saw her she was slowing down, and when she was captive before she wouldn't hunt live prey so I would have to hand feed which is harder than it sounds. She left her spot and I haven't seen her so either she died or found a better place.

Yeah, I would bring her in. That's how I started with my mantids. I saved 2 from the cold last year and they laid A LOT of eggs! I didn't have any cages so I put them on my plants and fed them crickets and put some sticks in the plant soil for them to lay eggs. They stayed on the plants and I had no trouble with my cats! At least this way, you could get at least 1 ooth from her, and then could can watch them hatch next year! (I don't know, but if it is that cold she might die before laying eggs?)

Not sure if I updated, but since my last post in November I had brought her in and kept her she ate just fine.

Today she passed away from old age, she was in my care for 4 months as an adult and laid 5 ootheca which are outside so they hatch in summer to continue her legacy. So let's say she hatched in June 2014, that made her total lifespan almost 9 months, keep in mind her entire life was lived outside up until November so that's damn good to live an additional 4 months plus surviving the cold weather she endured until I brought her in, plus lay 5 more ootheca, who knows how many she laid before November!

She will be missed but at least she lived a full, long life.

Yes she did...and I am sure she really enjoyed the indoor part... that is nice you will have her nymphs around... Sorry for your loss.... we tend to get attached.

Glad to see you did bring her in. ;)

Amazing she made it to February, she had a new lease on life for sure. Congrats on the ooths and the friend, I bet those were some of her happiest days. Do you plan on keeping any of her nymphs?

Glad to see you did bring her in. ;)

Amazing she made it to February, she had a new lease on life for sure. Congrats on the ooths and the friend, I bet those were some of her happiest days. Do you plan on keeping any of her nymphs?
I have tried keeping nymphs and they didn't do to well I ended up letting them go, so I'm going to have the nymphs stay wild but I'm sure I will see them around my property!

I have tried keeping nymphs and they didn't do to well I ended up letting them go, so I'm going to have the nymphs stay wild but I'm sure I will see them around my property!
I know what you mean it can be hit or miss on raising them. I bet you will see plenty around your property.
thumbs-up2.gif