Found a mantid, need ID

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maneatingmoo

Reaction score
I was at the edge of a field trying to catch some of the billions of grasshoppers and crickets for my plants, and I saw what I thought was a long green grasshopper. I went up to it and freaked out because it was a mantid. So my mom got a glove and a jar and it's sitting here in this jar with a twig. She was a bit rough with it and one of it's legs is missing... Will it survive? What kind of mantid is it? Is it male or female? I don't know how to put pictures on but I'll give it a try.

Green_Mantis_001.jpg

No its sub adult, so very little of not no regrowth with the final moult im afraid

Yeah Idolo, I was gonna say it was a female... go by the last segment, males have a very small last segment compared to the other segments, females have a bigger one. :unsure: Pretty sure you know that though.

Dif a subadult, you have a bit more time before she sheds into an adult though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found another one, this one's smaller and has all of it's legs. My parents think the other one is a male because it's leg was missing and they think the female eats the male. So they think this must be the female since it was near the other one. Is it ok to put it in with the other one?

Oh God no!!! Even if you stuffed both with food, they'll still fight and kill each other :blink: . Keep them seperate and post a pic of the new mantis so we can id it. The first mants is a female. It has nothing to do with the leg. B)