Found a mantis at the movies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
So, went out to the movies tonight, and towards the end I felt a large bug on my shoulder and kinda freaked out. I swatted it away, thinking "OMG ROACH" and "OMG BLACK WIDOW", and I had to know what it was, so I used my cell phone to light up the seat next to me, and there was this poor little female S. limbata. I grabbed her, and she chilled out on my hand for the next half our or so. When we got outside (it was raining), she immediately started lapping up water off of my hand. That's also what she's doing in the photo, after I walked through the rain a bit more up to the house. Poor thing is horribly skinny, and filled up her belly with water by drinking for about five minutes straight. Haven't fed her yet.

gallery_20_11_234414.jpg

I gotta say, she couldn't have chosen a better shoulder to crawl on! :lol:

That would be Mantis Love draped across your shoulder (like coke from a 7-Eleven fountain dispenser).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how long shes been in there? Get some food in her.

:lol: Isn't that something! They must smell others on us. She is in love with you, What movie was she watching :rolleyes: ? Ya gotta keep her for life now!

"I gotta say, she couldn't have chosen a better shoulder to crawl on! :lol: "It was fate!
JennMantis, that's exactly what I was going to say! :D

Andrew, thanks for posting a pic of her. When I saw it, :eek: it immediately got me wondering about my green female Stagmomantis carolina... or that's what I think she is, anyway. But she looks just like your Stagmomantis limbata! :huh: Most of my Carolinas are brown/grey and I'm positive of their id. But now I'm not so sure about the green ones (I had another green one just like her that I sent to someone on the forum as a Carolina also). I'm in Illinois and they were wild caught. Can someone give me a clue or assurance about what my green one is?

PS.... I hope I'm not "hijacking" this thread, and I sincerely apologize if I should have started my own. But I thought the two photos being in the same thread might help for comparison.

November2008_010.jpg

Katnapper,

Stagmomantis limbata and Stagmomantis carolina look very similar. But, I very much doubt you have wild S. limbata in Illinois. Their range is the southwest United States.

Scott

Kat, I grew up in Illinois and what you have there is a carolina mantis. Green is just another of their colors. I recall finding many green ones when I was living there.

Thank you, Scott and Rick, for the ID assurance. I really appreciate it, as I was suddenly doubting what I thought I had. :)

Andrew, that's really neat how you found her in the theatre, and I'm glad it was you who found her! You know though, I don't think I'll ever go to the movies now without checking my seat and immediate vicinity before sitting down! ;) :lol:

:lol: Isn't that something! They must smell others on us. She is in love with you, What movie was she watching :rolleyes: ? Ya gotta keep her for life now!
She was probably watching a rererun of The Deadly Mantis (1957). I think that the mantis in the movie ate the actress Marge Blaine. Certainly, she was never heard of again.

Perhaps she was trying to reduce her photoperiod, or just get out of the rain?

This is a great one-of-a-kind story!

That would be Mantis Love draped across your shoulder (like coke from a 7-Eleven fountain dispenser).
LOL, took me a few seconds to get that. :lol:

RocknRolla. Guess she has a thing for British films, lol. I think I might frame her up after she passes on.

JennMantis, that's exactly what I was going to say! :D Andrew, thanks for posting a pic of her. When I saw it, :eek: it immediately got me wondering about my green female Stagmomantis carolina... or that's what I think she is, anyway. But she looks just like your Stagmomantis limbata! :huh: Most of my Carolinas are brown/grey and I'm positive of their id. But now I'm not so sure about the green ones (I had another green one just like her that I sent to someone on the forum as a Carolina also). I'm in Illinois and they were wild caught. Can someone give me a clue or assurance about what my green one is?
Rick is right, that's definitley a carolina. The differences are there, but are a bit hard to pick out to the untrained eye. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i agree with Rick, what you have there is S. carolina Kat. and Andrew's one is more likely S. limbata. That was one odd way to find a mantis Andrew :lol:

Latest posts