Found mantis, it laid eggs in my tupperware, eggs fell--?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyjackal

Reaction score
A few days ago I found a fat green mantis and figured out it was an S. Carolina species...I think. (I'm in Alabama) I brought it in because it was chilly and put it in a tupperware...I left for a bit and came back and it was laying eggs on the lid of my container! I felt bad because I didn't realize it was pregnant.. I fed the mantis and let her go in the bushes (I found her on a car tire in the driveway, not an ideal mantis-spot) but now I had an egg-sac (ooth?) firmly attached to a tupperware not really bug-appropriate.

I checked on them the other day and the egg-case had fallen of the top pf the tupperware--is this bad?! I put a paper towel in there and misted it but I know if I keep them inside they'll hatch way too soon so I want to put them outside but I'd still like to see them hatch... what should I do? There are some good dry spots under the porch near the woods I can hopefully check on them periodically. Do I...do I glue it up? It was laid upside down but fell on its' "top" so I righted it but how do I re-aatach it outdoors? Is it ruined?

I guess I want to know if them falling off means they're dead or if I've damaged them by leaving them inside for a few days? Pics included of course!

When I first caught her:

Post-babymaking!

mheyguise.jpg

mclimb1.jpg

Nomming over her egg sac/ooth:

meat3.jpg

meat2.jpg

I gotta say mantises are soo fascinating..I wish I could raise a few inverts, my faves are Actias luna (luna moth), mantises (Orchids are beautiful!), stick-bugs, butterflies, and scorpions..but sadly the thought of touching bugs squicks me out and I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable having bugs possibly escape in the house since I live with my boyfriend at his father's house. I don't know why it's just bugs because I love reptiles and I used to own a snake but just..more than 4 legs is a no-go. (the closest I got to petting a Luna moth and my 10 seconds of Emperor scorpion holding before I couldn't deal with it any more.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ooth fell off the lid that is not a concern. Odd, but not a problem. If you want the ooth to hatch in spring attach it to something outside. It doesn't have to be a dry place as ooths get wet in the rain anyways. You could put it anywhere really. I use a low temp hot glue gun to attach ooths. Just a small drop is all is needed. Let it cool a few seconds before attaching.

If the ooth fell off the lid that is not a concern. Odd, but not a problem. If you want the ooth to hatch in spring attach it to something outside. It doesn't have to be a dry place as ooths get wet in the rain anyways. You could put it anywhere really. I use a low temp hot glue gun to attach ooths. Just a small drop is all is needed. Let it cool a few seconds before attaching.
Thank you! I read the "caring for/hatching ooths" thread a few times now and it seems more geared towards people raising their own so I didn't know if I could still glue it outside or what. I'll find a nice spot outside, I don't have a glue gun or money for one but I do have tacks... would it be possible to carefully tack the very tips of the sac under our deck? I also might have Elmer's glue if I can find it. Bug-keeping is a serious hobby I see..lots of work to keeping insects.

Thank you! I read the "caring for/hatching ooths" thread a few times now and it seems more geared towards people raising their own so I didn't know if I could still glue it outside or what. I'll find a nice spot outside, I don't have a glue gun or money for one but I do have tacks... would it be possible to carefully tack the very tips of the sac under our deck? I also might have Elmer's glue if I can find it. Bug-keeping is a serious hobby I see..lots of work to keeping insects.
You can. A tack may kill a couple eggs but the rest should still hatch.

You can. A tack may kill a couple eggs but the rest should still hatch.
Awesome, I appreciate it very much! I'll go hang them today and hopefully when winter is through I can see some baby mantis in the yard.

scarolinaOOTH.jpg

Right above this is the deck next to the woods and has a huge potted plant that attracts a lot of bugs and below it is a sheltered area under the deck that leads right into the woods as well. I might replace the tack on the right because it looks like it will get in the way of hatching..perhaps if I find a sewing pin. I hope I did it right.

You did good! I think the glue would have worked just as well. That is also the type of place s. carolina will often lay ooths anyways.

Where in Alabama are you?Rebecca
Thanks everyone! I hope they do hatch, it's right within view of my bedroom's sliding glass door so I can keep an eye on it. I'm totally going to go mantis-hunting at some point now that I'm more aware of where to look. :D When I went hunting for bugs to feed the one I caught I managed to find an itty-bitty ringneck snake no longer than 6" which was adorable, but only one suitable (catchable!) insect to feed the mantis with.

Rebecca I live in Birmingham. :)

Latest posts