Found my first phasmid!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgerndt

Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long since I've posted! I've been busy with work and getting ready for school.

So, anyway, I found an awesome male Diapheromera femorata while I was on vacation. I named him Bear, for the Sleeping Bear Dunes that I was staying near. (Voted most beautiful place in America, if you watch "Good Morning America") :D I picked him some rose leaves and he's been munching away. I read that they also eat apple leaves and oak leaves. Do they eat anything else? I have access to rose and apple leaves for now, but I'm not so sure how I can feed him when winter comes. I guess I could just buy cheap roses from the store. They sell those all year.

Also, I don't know if he has any more molts to go. How can I tell if he's full grown or not? He has really long antennae, so if they're anything like mantids, he might be full grown.

Poor Bear died for some reason... I don't know if I did something wrong, but I tried my best. I gave him fresh food every other day and misted him twice a day for a drink.

I fed him to my big Chinese girlie. It was so weird to watch. It looked like she was just munching on a twig!

Poor Bear died for some reason... I don't know if I did something wrong, but I tried my best. I gave him fresh food every other day and misted him twice a day for a drink.

I fed him to my big Chinese girlie. It was so weird to watch. It looked like she was just munching on a twig!
If you fed him any plants from a garden store or florist that is why he died. They treat everything with pesticides. Wish I'd known sooner so I could warn you. If you ever find more phasmids hit me up with questions.

No, the only plants I fed him were from my grandma's garden, and my mom's garden. Neither of them use pesticides, so it must've been something else. Maybe fertilizers are harmful? I washed the leaves before I gave them to him, but maybe I didn't wash them well enough.

I'll be on the lookout for more, and I'll definitely send you a PM if I do find one! Thanks!

Latest posts