Found Smoke Mantis on market parking lot rosebush!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
I was walking with my two young kids through a market parkinglot walkpath adjacent to a small stand of rosebushes for decorative flourish. As a joke, i told my boys to look for mantids as we walked. Then commenced scanning the roses. I was joking, but not within 10 seconds I saw a huge Smoke Mantis hanging under a rose! - right next to a car, too! She is super large compared to other mantids I have seen around here. She was mostly smoky black and gray with some green showing. Initially I thought it was some unknown species of something - like a burn phase of something I had seen before (What is that called when mantids morph to look like burnt ground? - like what popa spurca does). Then i realized she was a S. Limbata stained black with exhaust fumes! When I got her home, I tried misting her with warm water and cleaning her with about 10 cotton swabs. I held her prothorax while she flailed her arms about like an 8 armed lunatic in a straight jacket. After the torture session, she seemed content enough. Much cleaner but the poor thing is still stained and has exhaust smut and dark greasy looking grease in most of her details. We will take care of her indoors now that it is getting colder here (although it was like 90 or something today). My son named her "Dirty Belly." I fed her two crickets which she devoured like tender drumsticks. She seems kind of old but in healthy shape.

~Arkanis

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwww.... poor Dirty Belly just had a stroke of wonderful luck being found by you! The pictures in my mind of you giving her a bath... :lol: Glad she's got her belly full, is safe and warm, and will no doubt lead a pampered life from now on!

hehehe... still chuckling to myself about the "8 armed lunatic in a straight jacket" flailing her arms about! :p

Arkanis, has Dirty Belly cleaned up her act? Just wondering if the remaining soot wore off...
Dirty belly seems fine. The underside of her abdomen which faced up since she dangled under the blooms, seems permanently stained darker somewhat than the rest of her - like if the exhaust permeated her chitinous exoskeleton. Other than that, she has some black smears near where her legs attach to her body and in the crevices of her legs in that area that remain black. Dirty belly is a piglet like the other Limbatas and seems to be fattening up a bit.

Wow!! That's a great story and a fine ending,too!!! What luck!!! You were in the right place at the right time, for Dirty Belly!!

Kids are something else, the things they say!!! It's very sad though, that's the first I have ever heard of such!!! I agree with Hibiscusmile, "pollution knows no bounds!!! Wow, would like to have seen pics of that. it would make an excellent topic for my boy's school project as the topic is the effects of pollution on our planet!! he's standing here eith the mad face about

Dirty Belly's bout with pollution. :angry:

Latest posts